Time Capsule Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Coop-48, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Coop-48 macrumors newbie

I've been reading about the Time Capsule and I'm still a little confused on the device. It is my understanding that the Time Capsule can be used as wireless router and backup storage device. I already have a wireless router that I'm happy w/ at home and I only wish to use the Time Capsule for its backup storage capabilities.

Is this possible? If so, how? Does it make sense to use the Time Capsule this way or should I look for a different NAS drive to serve my purposes?

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Just get rid of your current router and replace it with the Time Capsule...you don't need two and honestly if you are using the TC to back-up you need to be on its wireless network, so the other wouldn't be used anyway.

The TC is first and foremost a router...it's just one with a drive built-in.

I can guarantee you won't be unhappy with the airport router built in, it blows others away with ease of setup, use and overall reliability. I have only once had to reboot mine in the last 4 years of operation. As opposed to the numerous times a month my older router needed to be rebooted. It's been said before, but it's true; it just works.

If you truly must keep your current router, then find another solution to backup like an external HDD hooked up to your Mac using Time Machine. (assuming you have a Mac).

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

I would look into getting a NAS. And if you need one with Time Machine capability, the Synology DS211j is a great one to get.

If you need the Time Capsule to extend your WiFi coverage then that might be a better solution. But if you're happy with your current router there's no need to get a Time Capsule.

That said, there is a way to incorporate a Time Capsule into your current setup if you absolutely must get one and had to keep your current router (ie, if it's an ISP provided modem/router combo). You would have to disable DHCP on the TC by turning Connection Sharing to Off (Bridge mode). This allows the TC to act as a wireless access point when connected via Ethernet to a LAN port of your current router.

4. Coop-48 thread starter macrumors newbie

Extend my WI-FI coverage? How so? I'm considering replacing my wireless router Since the TC "kills two birds w/ one stone." I'm not sure how the TC would extend my WI-FI coverage though.

Forgive my ignorance, Mac Newbie w/ a capital N, lol.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

Let's say your current router doesn't cover all of your house, or you have a house that has difficulty getting coverage both upstairs and downstairs. You could then run an Ethernet cable from your router to your Time Capsule and disable DHCP on the TC, making it a wireless access point. Then you'd be able to have Wi-Fi from both your current router and your TC.

Although the current gen TCs have excellent range, so that might not be necessary. I'd say swap out your router with the Time Capsule and see how it is and go from there. It really is one of the easiest routers to set up.