Time Capsule Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rideherhard, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

I'm looking at getting a TC but I have a question for you guys.. I want to use it as a back up but the problem is I have my roommate on my wi fi too and I don't want them to have access to my backed up files. So can I have them on the wi fi but without access to the files in the TC or have them load their stuff into the TC?. If so how does that work?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes, you can lock down your TC so that he / she can't have access to the network or your backups.

3. Rideherhard thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool thanks!. Also, if I did let them use it to back up their files is there a way to keep my files save from them and theirs from me? so we can only acess our own files?.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes, TC takes the name of the computer you are backing up....If you call your Mac "Fred" TC creates a folder called Fred, and places the backups for that computer in the folder.

I have a 3TB TC backing up an iMac, MBA and an MBP...No issues at all...Just make sure your friends computer has a different name than yours and you should be fine.

5. Rideherhard thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome thanks for the help, appreciated. So she couldn't get into my files from her computer? I can lock my folder and she with hers? or will TC not allow her computer into my files?

Is there any differences between the TC from Oct 09 to the ones out now besides the room?

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes, go for the latest one if you can....better hdd and more configuration options. Separate passwords for you and your friend....(she could also use the TC logged in as a guest, but Im not sure she would be able to backup if she did that)

Check out the Apple site for the latest info!

7. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

If you're concerned about privacy of your files and data, you may want to look into upgrading to OSX Lion if you haven't already done so, and then enable full drive encryption. This will encode all your stuff with 256-bit AES cipher, which is...well, fairly tough to crack, shall we say. It takes millions or even billions of CPU hours to brute-force open, so basically, any non-government sponsored attempt to look at your files will be completely impossible. Unless they guess your password, of course... ;)

Also, if you own a 2011 (or soon, 2012 and onwards) model year Mac, the performance impact for very heavy disk activity is almost imperceptible due to special CPU instructions to handle the encoding and decoding of information. If not, there'll be a hit to performance, especially when writing data, but unless you spend a lot of time writing LOTS of data it shouldn't be a big issue.

As a bonus, if you enable drive encryption your time machine backups will be encrypted automatically as well.

You mean storage capacity?

Well, yes and no. Visually, I think they look EXACTLY the same. Internally there are some differences between generations, the two most recent gens have a faster main CPU with more RAM available to it than the previous and feature triple-stream, dual-band .11n WiFi radios (most recent revision has better radios for greater throughput and range), and the three most recent revisions have a built-in radial fan to cool the integrated power supply somewhat.

These later time machines also power down the harddrive when it's not in use, which saves power and limits heat output also.

8. Rideherhard thread starter macrumors 6502

Lenny thanks for all that great info!. I have a MacBook Pro 5, 5 model late 09 model, I believe.

One other question I'm wanting to import movies into the TC can I use it as a media server without having my MacBook on? I want to store the DVDs and Blu Rays in the TC and play it to my AppleTV, is this possible?.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Nope. :apple:TV requires something running iTunes desktop client for video sharing.

Other set top boxes may well be able to stream video from a TC via AFP or SMB.

B

10. Rideherhard, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

Rideherhard thread starter macrumors 6502

I got my TC today and backed up my computer but why can't I go into the TC? when I go into finder it shows up under shared then I click it and it's a folder that says data when I click that it my name and MacBook Pro with a hard drive pic on it I click that and it say mac resources are temporally unavailable?. I seen on youtube of people being able to see their files in the TC, any idea why I can't? or help with setting up if I messed something up.

11. cplush macrumors member

mine won't let me do that either....i think you need a sparse bundle viewer app or something similar to view the contents

12. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Can't you browse the TC's contents via the Time Machine software?

13. Rideherhard thread starter macrumors 6502