Time Capsule Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hayleywow, Aug 22, 2013.

1. hayleywow macrumors regular

hayleywow

Hi

Ive had a Time Capsule connect via wifi to our house network (Router) my Macbook Pro backs up without a problem.

I'm wondering when I plug an ethernet cable into the back of the Time Capsule to give network to a device that doesn't have Wifi.. When I plug in the cable I can't get network to the other device, is this because my time capsule is not wired into the network and is connected wirelessly to a third party router?

I hope this make sense, but could really do with some advice

Thanks

Hay

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I'm a little confused. So Wireless router, connected to the TC (via wifi) all works fine.

When you connect another device to the TC vie ethernet it stops working? Is that correct? Is it plugged into the three output ethernet connectors, rather than the input one?

Attached Files:

3. hayleywow thread starter macrumors regular

hayleywow

OK I have the following:-

I have a Broadband router from my internet supplier, and my TC is connected it the router wirelessly. TC is configure to "Join existing Wireless"

When I plug an ethernet cable into the back of TC to connect another PC via a wire, I get no connection.. ethernet cable is plugged into ethernet ports on TC

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Is it the same as the picture? Mine is, and I plug my Laptop into the Ethernet sometimes (because its dog slow anyhow) with no issues. The wire has to go in one of the three with the ↔ symbol though.

5. hayleywow thread starter macrumors regular

hayleywow

Yes exactly the same as in the picture, and I have tried all <-> ports..

My TC is configure to "Join existing wireless" is this correct..

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

7. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Yes join existing wireless is correct. Otherwise you will have two routers trying to assign mac addresses etc.

Have you tried powering down both routers, then starting up the ISP one first, then the TC? Other than that I'm stumped, but I'm sure others will chime in with more intelligent suggestions.

8. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I don't seem to have join existing as an option, just bridge mode for the router and extend or create wireless network. Older AP utilities can set up MDS.

9. hayleywow thread starter macrumors regular

hayleywow

OK no worries I have tried turning both off and back on..

I thought it should be easy, but I can't figure what i'm doing wrong..

If anyone else has any ideas I would be most grateful

10. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I think you want to set up the TC to extend the wireless network or participate in a WDS network, similar to what you can do with and AP express.

11. hayleywow thread starter macrumors regular

hayleywow

It won't allow me to "Extend wireless network" says the ISP router is out of range or turned off, which it isn't as my MacBook Pro is connected to the ISP router

12. ColdCase, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

I think wireless extend or WDS only works with apple products, your ISP hardware probably doesn't support it. You may need to insert an Apple extreme at your ISP hardware and set the ISP equipment to bridge mode, then use the extreme as the router (or set the APE to bridge mode and retain ISB router function). I dunno if things have changed over the last year, however. I know just enough to be dangerous here.

13. ColdCase, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Come to think of it, thats how I solved the remote connection issue years ago. I connected an airport base station to the ISP Router via ethernet and set my two expresses and airport to do WDS over the wireless network the base station managed (its been used as both the main router and demoted to a mere access point). I have a number of ethernet only devices connected through the express's to the airport base station and then onto the internet (or other network devices) via the ISP router. Ancient technology but I'm not sure about anything thats changed recently, except that apple may have dropped features.

Its probably easier just to get a USB wifi adapter for the PC(s) without wifi. Those are like $10-$20.