Time Capsule Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ShaneBunting, Sep 28, 2013.

1. ShaneBunting Suspended

Hi, the new 2013 Time Capsule looks great as a NAS alternative and it'll work well with my MacBook Air.

Will I be able to store the original iTunes and iPhoto libraries (Large files!) on an external HDD attached to the Time Capsule (via USB) and have them backed up ON the Time Capsule's HDD?

They take up too much space on the 128GB SSD on my Air :/

Any alternative solutions are welcome too!

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Not easily. Time Machine won't back up network disks.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is not a supported solution, although some people have managed to hack around and get it working.

You would be better off using something like Carbon Copy Cloner to routinely copy the data from the networked drive to a separate folder on the Time Capsule. Or, if you want to do a little research, you could out together an Applescript using the built in rsync Terminal command to do this for you.

4. Serban Suspended

I have a question: can i backup to the same time capsule my imac and my macbook air at the same time??

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... not a problem at all. Just turn on Time Machine and click select drive then choose the TC as the destination in each machine. Nothing special needs to be configured.

6. Serban Suspended

i dont know than what i did but i cant back up from my macbook , when i click back up now i get that the file is already in use

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Follow this guide to fix it.

8. Serban Suspended

i just erased the time capsule hdd and now it works from the beginning at the same time...i have to wait 3 hours but..im glad is working again