time capsule question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by squaremon, Feb 29, 2008.

1. squaremon macrumors regular

squaremon

Hi,
    Can time capsule work like a regular external hard drive? Like drag files in and out manually? I got some files that i wanna back up from my pc

thanks

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if you want to use it with your PC youll either have to split it into 2 partitions, one Mac OS Extended for Time Machine and the other NTFS. or you could install MacDrive on the PC to enable read/write support for Mac OS Extended disks.

3. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

afaik that's not true. Time Capsule handles the conversion from the network-protocol to the destination filesystem.

You should be able to use TC with a windows-PC as well as with Time Machine on a Mac without doing any of that which you're suggesting...

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sorry! yep your right. Macs and PCs would be able to write to it over the network. i was thinking about local disks.

5. squaremon thread starter macrumors regular

squaremon

thanks 4 the reply ! :D
    I have bunch of music in my pc. i was thinking about transfer all the files i need into time capsule, and use my mba to listen to them wirelessly through tc. donno if that will work

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sure it will work! just drag the iTunes folder from the PC to TC and then on your MBA set the iTunes music folder location to the TC.

or you could just turn on music sharing in iTunes on your PC and the MBA would pick it up. but then you cant edit your music on the MBA.