Time Capsule Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FatDaddy 64.5, Apr 10, 2008.

1. FatDaddy 64.5 macrumors newbie

I get how Time Capsule works with Time Machine, but can I also use it as a place to store other files instead of just a backing up device. Can I get on to Time Capsule as an external HD and dump other files onto it from different computers. If so how does it work or, is this just for backing up purposes, only for Time Machine?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Other computers can connect to it and use the extra space to store regular files.

The only "cactch" with that is that Time Machine will continue to fill the Time Capsule with backups until there is no more space. So if you're going to use the TC for other files, you're probably going to hit a point where you'll have to manually go in and delete old backups if you want more space for other files.

3. FatDaddy 64.5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but can't you tell Time Mashine how much space to use for backing up instead of using the whole HD?

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Not that I'm aware of.

On a regular external drive, you could do that by partitioning it into two separate drives and having Time Machine just use one. With the Time Capsule, there's pretty much no way sort of disassembling the thing to partition it.

5. stokessd macrumors newbie

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Sweet, thanks for the link. Can't wait to get home and try it! :)