time capsule question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Vick77, May 20, 2008.

1. Vick77 macrumors member

Hi, I've got a couple of questions which I was wondering if anybody could answer for me...

1) Is time capsule basically a wireless external HDD drive, in that, could it be used for that purpose only without using time machine?

2) Is it possible to create a folder on the time capsule, which an iMac AND a macbook would automatically sync with ...so if a file was edited on the iMac, and saved on the time capsule, the macbook could sync with the folder on time capsule and retrieve the updated file and vice versa? ...I've read forums mentioning chronosync, would this work for me?

my problem is i use an iMac whilst at home, and have only certain files i'd like to by synced with my macbook for when im away from home. I'm not too keen on using .mac due to there only being 10gb storage space, and i wouldnt make use of all it has to offer.

I'm new to mac so i apologise for this post being slightly mundane, any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

oh and i forgot to mention, I'd sync the files whilst at home having both macs in the same room, I'd like it to be automatic though, being able to sync whilst away from home isn't something i need.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Time Capsule can be used as an external HD connected to your network or the more common term nertwork attached storage (NAS). As for the syncing part that you mentioned I'm sure that you could figure something out that would let you do that maybe third party software. If I'm understanding you correctly you aren't looking for a backup system but sonething that will keep certain files the same on both computers (ie not Time Machine).

Anyone else able to shine some light?

3. Vick77 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply, and yeh you hit the nail on the head, thats exactly what im looking for. after further reading i'm edging towards buying the 500gb time capsule instead of the 1TB one, and just get a .mac subscription. I think this seems the most suitable option for what I intend to do.

4. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I got a 1 TB Time Capsule last week. I use it both for backups, with Time Machine, and as the repository for my MP4 movie files. It has worked well so far. I create a small alias file of my movies by using Finder to drag them, while depressing the Command and option keys, from the Time Capsule folder where they are stored to the Movies folder in the iTunes app. Once the little alias files are created, it’s a cinch to either stream or sync them to my Apple TV. Highly recommended.