Time Capsule Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kyle.maddens, Jun 14, 2009.

1. kyle.maddens macrumors newbie

This is a many parted question, but any answers or general experience would be very appreciated.

I'm looking for a new backup solution, but also a space to keep a single copy of some large files. In addition, I wouldn't mind a nice new router. Here are all the details:

I have a MacBook Pro with a 120 GB hard drive. I purchased a 120 GB external hard drive a while back, and for a while that was working fine as a Time Machine drive (only backing up my personal files, no applications or system files). Unfortunately, I quickly outgrew the hard drive on my computer. The worst culprits were videos, mostly from iTunes. I moved the files to my external drive and deleted them from the computer. This prevented me from using that drive for Time Machine because there simply wasn't enough room, in addition to the fact that I didn't, at that time, know if/how I could partition it to use part for Time Machine and part for storage.

I now make manual backups as often as I feel it necessary, and all of those videos and a few other large files remain on the drive. Unfortunately, my computer is again full and so is the external drive. Now, I don't really have the ability to make backups and I'm almost out of room for any new files.

Now, the Time Capsule will hopefully solve my problems. My most important question is, can I keep some files on it (such as my videos) that I would access in a similar fashion to miscellaneous files without having a copy on my computer, while using it as a Time Machine backup too. I would get the 500 GB and want 150-200 GB for file storage. These files are not drastically important so I don't care if they're incredibly secure, but I did pay for most of the videos, so I'd like to not delete them.

I was reading both this thread
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=446167
    and this article
    http://www.macworld.com/article/139693/2009/03/timecapsule09.html
    and I got the idea I could do this, but given the significance of the purchase, it would be nice to be 100% sure before I buy.

From the thread, this seemed like at least one solution:
    There's no need to return it - if you really need a partition on it, use Disk Utility to create a disk image of, say, 300GB on the Time Capsule's drive. Then mount that disk image on your desktop. You'll have full read/write access to the 300GB within that disk image and Time Machine will respect that space; it'll simply use the rest for backup.
    but the poster, from what I could tell, was guessing.

So, long story short, can I store files on my Time Capsule separately from my backups?

My other minor questions:
    Have you used Time Capsule with a Wii, and if so have there been any problems?
    I'm pretty sure the answer to this is no, but: Is there any way to use a Nintendo DS with the Time Capsule wireless? I think the necessity of WEP protection precludes the DS, but just wondering.

Lastly, and personal experiences (good or bad) with the Time Capsule, and do you think it is a worthwhile purchase?

Thanks so much for any help (and reading any of this very long post) and I'm looking forward to all of your responses.

2. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I can help you with a few questions.

1. As it relates to dedicating part of the drive for files and part for Time Machine - the short answer is yes. The more detailed answer is to remember how Time Machine works. It will continue you to back-up and take up space until the disk is full - then it deletes. The best thing I've found is partitioning part of your drive for back-up and the other part for files. This will allow Time Machine only X size - so it doesn't "run wild" on your drive. Does that make sense?

2. As far as a file server - lets face it - the TC isn't the fastest. If you're plan is going to stream video - I believe you should really consider either having that computer that will stream to hard wired to the TC or possibly another solution.

3. I don't have a Wii, but I can tell you I used my xbox360 with no issue. Again best performance is wired directly to the unit (instead of using wireless), but I was going wireless with 0 issues.

4. Don't have a DS, but the TC and AEBS allow you to create "guest accounts" which allow a certain number of now WEP connections. They don't have the same rights as other users WEP based but that is an option - I'm sure someone can cover that more indepth.

I hope that helps.

Cheers.

:)

3. kyle.maddens thread starter macrumors newbie

So you have successfully partitioned your Time Capsule drive? This is the part that seems to be the most questioned, and I couldn't find anybody that actually had done it.

As for my videos, I'll probably not watch them, I just want to put them away somewhere. If I ever need to watch them, I can plug it in and transfer them back to my computer.

Thanks!

4. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Ok, that will work for the videos.

I guess the key is to remember - lets say your laptop has 250 gb hd; TM could potentially eat up 1 TB of external HD space. It will keep going until your external or TC drive is full. That is the only reason I like the partitioning idea.

As far as partitioning - yes you can. There is a lot of misconception out there. Here is how you do it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

5. randyharris macrumors regular

Thanks for posting this, do you know if the Western Digital 2TB Green Hard Drive?

http://tinyurl.com/lslju3

I don't know if the firmware supports the 2TB drives or not.

Thanks to anybody who may know.

6. lostime macrumors regular

I'd like to put the WD Green 2tb in my Time Capsule but don't want to be the first. I heard that the firmware doesn't support above 1tb but there have been a few firmware updates since then so who knows.

I'll wait for the price to come down before I jump at something that might not work.

7. randyharris macrumors regular

However, there are a lot of rumors out there about an official 2TB Time Capsule: http://tinyurl.com/mb8blt

So maybe once that is released the general firmware would support upgrading a 500GB Time Capsule to a 2TB, in a DIY fashion. I hope so anyway.

8. lostime macrumors regular

well it appears that it's been done already.

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2009/03/23/2-tb-in-a-time-capsule