time capsule question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msm3921, Jul 26, 2009.

1. msm3921 macrumors member

hey everyone i bought a macbook pro yesterday and want to know how to transfer everything in my itunes from my windows computer to my mac. i have heard that the best way to do this is an external hard drive but unfortunately i dont have one. i am looking into buying a time capsule, and when i go back to school i would use that as my wireless modem. the problem is that i dont go back to school for another three weeks and i want to move everything over before then. so is there any way that i could transfer everything over some other way with it? and once i transfer my itunes folder over it wont erase everything on my iphone right?

also i would want to set up my printer and speakers wirelessly using the time capsule. would i be able to do both with it or would i need to buy an airport express as well?

2. Panzo macrumors 6502

To transfer your itunes library form one computer to the other, your best bet would be burning your data to a dvd or various dvds, depending how big your collection is.

Im not sure if you are able to sync your device on more then one computer, so pick which one you will be using to sync your ipod/iphone. and do so only once all the files are tranferred

The time capsule will allow you to connect a printer but you wont have the ability to connect your speakers, as i dont think there is a mini (earphone) jack.

3. 5280m macrumors member

You could enable disk mode on your iPod to transfer large amounts of data, depending on the size of your iPod.

4. msm3921 thread starter macrumors member

oh okay. so i could use time capsule to wirelessly use my printer then buy an airport express to hook up my speakers wirelessly?

all i want to transfer over from my old computer is my itunes files. i just want it so that i have all my music on my mac and so that my data on my iphone wont be erased when i hook it up to my mac. how do you enable disk mode?

5. t3heford macrumors member

6. msm3921 thread starter macrumors member

does that mean that i will lose all my contacts? i dont have mobileme or anything else like that

7. t3heford macrumors member

You're going to have to export your contacts from whichever program you use, same for your calender (if you use one).
    For any apps you purchased, just keep a record of which ones you have and on the new computer you can download them free of charge.

8. msm3921 thread starter macrumors member

i dont use anything other than itunes. how could i keep from losing my contacts then?

9. msm3921 thread starter macrumors member

anyone? i really dont want to lose any of the numbers that are stored on my phone

10. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

YOU POSTED IN THE WRONG SECTION. ;)