Time Capsule question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dobbs2, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

If I buy the 1tb time capsule and sometime down the road say the router goes bad, heaven forbid, how do I get my stuff off the hdd? Is it possible? I would like to know the best route to go buy the NAS and router separate in case one goes bad im not SOL or are their ways of getting my data off it the hdd from the time capsule in that event? Forgive me I'm not very computer savvy and I'm just a recent convert to mac. I'm just trying to figure out my options incase of that event.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

The internal HDD should be SATA and be formatted HFS+, so you should just be able to get an external enclosure and connect it to your Mac.

BTW, it is cheaper to just buy an Airport Extreme and connect a drive via USB. Same benefits as a TC and you can be sure that your data is independent of the router.

3. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Hi there,

The time capsule uses a 3.5 sata drive, so I believe it should work with any 3.5 external sata drive enclosure. I also think you could access the HD via USB without having to remove the drive.

With that said, the chances of your router going bad before your HD does, is slim. :p

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

You cannot access the HDD using the USB port on the Time Capsule. It is there strictly for attaching external HDDs and printers to share or to archive the internal HDD of the TC.

That said, I just upgraded my TC's internal HDD to 1.5TB from 500GB so I can tell you for sure that it's a 3.5" SATA drive in the TC and that it's formatted HFS+. I've mounted my old drive in an enclosure and am able to access it with my MacBook.

The previous suggestion to go with the AEBS with an external drive is a valid one and considerably cheaper. However I've found with an external attached to my TC, Time Machine has a hard time mounting it whenever it needs to back up.

I'm not sure if this is an isolated issue that could be due to my external enclosure, but if you're wanting ease of setup and want to minimize the space taken by the router, Time Capsule would be the way to go. And if you're wanting to save some money, go with the AEBS/HDD combo. Make sure to format your external HFS+ as it won't work otherwise.

5. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

If I were to go with the AEBS would it be better to go with a usb external hdd or a hdd that has an ethernet port? Would I notice a performance difference?

6. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

If the wireless part of it goes bad, just plug it in via ethernet and pull your stuff off.

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Ethernet will only be faster if you get a powerful enough device. The AEBS is on par with any similarly priced NAS though.

8. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok went out and bought the AEBS setup my wireless network and guest network. I also bought a seagate external hdd.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...agate&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1218065495073

I cant get it to be recognized on my network. I'm currently using a Vista Home premium 64 bit desktop. I don't have the mackbook pro currently handy. I can't seem to get the hdd to show up on my network. It shows up in the airport utility as a 933gb seagate...., but doesn't show up anywhere else. I enabled file sharing with accounts and can't seem to figure this out.

9. umbilical macrumors 6502a

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Did you format the drive to HFS+ prior to connecting it to the AEBS? It cannot read off the hard drive unless it has a file system in place. This can be done by connecting it to your computer and using Disk Utility.

11. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I feel like I'm always riding your coat tails Geo. :p

I have an external with a Fat32 partition (named "backup") and a HFS+ partition (name "time capsule".

PCs (XP and Vista) do not see the HFS+ partition - "time capsule" but they see "backup".

As Geo mentioned you must have the HD formatted in an unrecognizable format.

12. skorpien macrumors 68020

Okay, just for clarification, if you have an HFS+ formatted drive attached to the AEBS, it will be recognized by Windows computers. Windows machines use SMB to connect to the drive via the AEBS while Macs use AFP. This is handled by the AEBS and will make an HFS+ drive recognizable using Windows systems.

Make absolute sure your workgroup and WINS server in File Sharing (in the AirPort Utility) are the same as your Windows box. And if you have any software firewalls installed, make sure your AEBS's address (default 10.0.1.1) is on the list of trusted networks/zones.

Also, install AirPort Utility for Windows from Apple's site if you haven't done so already. It comes with AirPort Base Station Agent, which will detect and mount any HDDs connected to your AEBS.

13. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

14. coopermac macrumors member

Skorpien,

Does this apply to a USB drive attached to a TC too?

If the network is windows only (apart from a TC) how do you format a USB drive as HFS+?

Thanks

Coopermac

15. skorpien macrumors 68020

AFAIK it only applies to USB drives. Although I have no experience with an ethernet HDD, what I've read online suggests that it's the HDD itself that acts as the server. I could be wrong about this so if anyone can clarify that would be great.

The file sharing option in AEBS/TC is only for USB connected HDDs I believe, so if you get an external ethernet HDD that's compatible with Mac and Windows, you should be able to set it up just fine without having to set it up in AirPort Utility.

As for formatting it HFS+ with Windows, it seems the only way to do so is with third party software such as TransMac and MacDrive. I haven't tried either but I'm almost positive that you'd need the full (read paid) version to format an external hard drive.

16. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

In this case, you will have to find a friend with a Mac.

You can try formatting the drive in FAT32, but I don't know if that will work with the TC/AEBS or not.

17. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks for the help guys. I don't have the mac handy the wife has it at the moment. I figured out the drive is formatted to ntfs. Is there a way to get it to recognize it or am I out of luck on that?

Another question when I go to access the AEBS and give access to mac addresses for given amounts of time is the "default unlimited" the desktop I have hooked up to the airport? If I give access to mac addresses only is that for just what I add to the list or do other computers have access at the same time? The goal is to setup a network where only the mac addresses I put in the list have access and no one else. I don't want to just limit the mac addresses I put in and still let others join my network.

Thank you once again! I'm slow and new to this so bear with me.

18. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

The AEBS will not recognize NTFS.

Limiting MAC addresses will create a whitelist and block any other MAC addresses from connecting. Parental controls are different.

19. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok gave up on trying to format it with no macbook present. Took it back to my work/Best Buy and got a 1tb time capsule and almost everything is fine. I can read and write to the networked hdd and that works great. I just can't get the printer to work on this one. I had the printer hooked up via ethernet and it couldn't find it, and then I hooked it up with usb and the time capsule sees it and everything. When I go to print from my vista machine it asks me to save to a xps(?) file and then quits instead of printing.

20. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

BTW, Apple just came out with a 2 Tb drive; I was online at the Apple Store website a few minutes ago and the graphic is up, but clicking it leads nowhere:

Attached Files:

21. StrudelTurnover macrumors regular

Ditto, on the Canadian store. Just shot a submission over in fact. :p
    The link just went live moments ago.
    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB996/Time-Capsule-2TB?mco=NzUxMDMwNg

22. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I woke up saw it was cheaper. I then went to my work and price matched and it went from $459.99 to $299.99. I'm just waiting for my work to update our stuff and then I will get a little more off with my employee discount. We still have it listed as 499.99 it will take probably until tomorrow to update our site. Thanks for the heads up as well.

Anyone have any help for why I can't get the printer working on my vista machine? It prints fine on the mac, but asks to save as an xps(sp?) file on the vista machine.

23. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502