time capsule question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by X1Lightning, Feb 12, 2010.

1. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

does time capsule only work for backups? or can you use it to copy files to?
    I have mac and linux machines, can my linux machine put a file on the capsule that my mac could then see?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

No offense, but your questions are easily answered by a search.

You can definitely use the Time Capsule as a NAS and not just as a Time Machine disk. However, as TM uses the disk until it is full and it is quite difficult to partition/allocate space on the TC for TM, it's generally better to connect a USB HDD to the TC to be used as a NAS and just use the internal for TM.

As for the second part of your question, I'm not sure of the specifics but you should be able to set it up. Do a google search to find out how people connect their Time Capsule to Linux. I'd provide a link, but I'm not sure which version of Linux you are using (I found links to get Ubuntu connected to TC, so I know it's possible).

3. miknos macrumors 6502a

miknos

I hear many reviews (from Amazon) saying TC is noisy and gets very hot.

Using it as a wireless hard drive can fix that issue since it's not working all the time (because Time Machine is not being used)?

4. X1Lightning thread starter macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

well i am looking to use it for TC, but also for storing media that is shared between devices, maybe i just need to get a NAS for doing the media sharing?

5. mbestel macrumors member

Simpler solution?

Hi,

Possibly, it would be simpler to set up a share (probably SMB) on either the Mac or the Linux box and share the files that way.

Could be easier than adding another network device.

More flexible too.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark