Time Capsule Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by phenixdragon, May 21, 2010.

1. phenixdragon macrumors regular

I just bought my first Mac this week and I was looking to pick up a Time Capsule. I currently have a router running DD-WRT which works great and I want to add a Time Capsule to my network. However, I want to have the Time Capsule connect like a bridge to the DD-WRT and also have my wireless devices connect to the Time Capsule. Some of my devices have problems connecting wirelessly to the DD-WRT. I don't mind if I have to run a wire from my DD-WRT to the Time Capsule or using wireless to connect them both. But I want everything to be on the same network. Is that possible? I'm assuming if I bridge the routers that they then won't accept wireless connections, and if I connect them via a wire that they will be son separate networks.

Any ideas?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

When setting it up via AirPort Utility, it asks the way you want to use it. Select extend current network

3. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. Wasn't sure how that option worked.

So how does this thing handle backups? I am looking at buying a 1 TB for $250, 4th gen model, but I am wondering if that is enough. My MacBook Pro is only 500 gigs. I guess what I am trying to understand is how it compares to like Windows Home Server which creates a full backup of the files each time it runs. Which is nice, because it has the full files for each backup.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you have 500GB, it won't be over 500GB (unless you delete a lot stuff and fill it again). It makes a backup of every file but if it has been backed up already it won't copy it again, it'll some how link it, I guess

5. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. Just picked one up and configured it.

Now can this backup NTFS partitions or is it only HFS+ partitions?

6. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

It also appears that when I have Time Capsule connected to my current router that the ethernet ports on the Time Capsule aren't used? None of the devices connected to the ethernet ports will connect to the network.

7. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

OK so I called Apple and it turns out that you can not use the ethernet ports when joining another network. THe AirPort Extreme will but not Time Capsule. AirPort Extreme has a specific option to do so. So I'm going to see about selling this and getting AirPort Extreme and just add a drive to it.