Time capsule question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stroedel, Aug 12, 2010.

1. stroedel macrumors newbie

I want to buy TC ...
    what should I do?
    I have 1 TB internal HD..
    Is 1 TB Time capsule enough to backup?
    Main question: is there more saved in backup mode than in original version?

2. crackmyback macrumors newbie

The back-up size is kinda the same as your data on the hard drive the first time you back it up. It then depends on how big the files are that you frequently change on your hard drive, because they determine how big the additional back-ups are since it backs up all those additional copies of the files, but ONLY IF they have been modified.

Time Machine backs up EVERYTHING by default unless you specify something to exclude. For example, I save space on my Time Capsule by excluding large programs like Games which eat space in the order of gigabytes and for which I have the install discs in case I need to re-install. I've known people to exclude podcasts also, especially video podcasts as you often view them in a few hours or days and delete them but they eat up at least a couple of hundred MBs (which over time and volume cumulates to a lot).

Bottom line, if you have a lot of data on your hard drive before backing up for the first time, say more than 600GB, or if you keep changing large files often, you may want to consider buying a 2TB model of the TC. THIS 600GB LIMIT IS NOT A PRESCRIPTION OR A THRESHOLD FOR SELECTING THE MODEL OF THE TIME CAPSULE TO BUY, IT DEPENDS ON EACH USER AND THIS IS JUST WHAT I MAY DO, YOU SHOULD BE THE BEST JUDGE FOR YOUR USAGE. I did feel at times that I might have bought an oversized TC for myself, but then the free space on the TC not used for back-ups was usable as a regular wireless external drive, so it gave me some consolation.