Time Capsule Questions (Backup for a Mac and PC and using it as a wireless router)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pandaboots, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Pandaboots macrumors regular

Pandaboots

Here's the scenario:

I'm going to buy a Time Capsule to use with Time Machine for my mac as a wireless backup and also be able to use as a wireless backup for the PC in the house. Both computers have a 250gb hard drive, so a 500gb model would be fine. I have two questions:

1) How would I keep Time Machine from hogging up more than it's 250gb share of the Time Capsule? Doesn't TM essentially keep backing up redundantly by the day/week/month until it fills the hard drive and then starts writing over the oldest files? Since the PC will be manual backups, I'd like to know that TM won't hog the hole drive or worse yet, write over any of the pc files.

2) I currently have DSL with ATT using a 2wire wireless router/modem, so it's my understanding that I still have to use this box to receive internet from the phone line (because it is the actual modem), but can plug in the TC via ethernet cable to act as the wireless portion throughout the house. Can I still use the N functionality of the TC, even thought the 2Wire is G only?

My understanding is that plugging in the TC to the 2wire via ethernet makes the 2Wire a "coupler" of sorts and then I just use the features of the TC wireless router at will and choose it in airport and the network control panel on the PC.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) You could, A) Partition the TC into two drives or B) Trust Time Machine to allocate space as required.

2) You are correct. I've actually never met anyone who could use the WiFi on their 2Wire and just setup their own WiFi router. However, as long as the TC is set in 5 Ghz. N mode, then use the 2Wire's network for b/g. If you use the 2.4 Ghz N mode, b and g devices can connect to the TC, bringing it down to their speeds (or lower, to the 2Mbps of 802.11).

TEG