Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pound4pound30

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
Just to clear it up in my understanding. The time capsule is obviously used as an external hard drive. But also you use it as a wireless router too correct? You need to hook it up to the modem to use it as the wireless router just like every other router correct?

Any other details would be nice to know. Thanks

SiMBa37

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
New York
I don't own one, but from my understanding, what you say is correct. It is both an external wireless hard drive that is fully time machine compatible with multiple computers, and it also functions as a wireless router a/b/g and n. You would need an ethernet cable to connect it to your cable modem.

I've been thinking long and hard about getting one, but many post have stated that it has a shelf life of 14 to 18 months, then just stops working. Many suspect that poor ventilation and overheating lead to it frying its internals. Even though Apple Care covers it for a replacement, Apple will not recover your lost data for you. If you try and open your TC to plug the hard drive into an external SATA enclosure, it voids your warranty.

If anyone else has a different viewpoint or understanding of the device, please add in and correct me.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
The first generation TC had about an 18-month lifespan before the power supply would fail due to heat and an internal design flaw. Current TC's are not affected.

Mine failed out of warranty and due to recent changes in TC repair policy, it was replaced (although with a fixed first gen TC) at no charge to me. They did not transfer my backups although they will if asked.

The TC is both a backup machine capable of being partitioned for disk use and a wireless router that has 802.11n support. Just plug in your cable modem to the TC and you're good to go. It is a very nice router that simply just works.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
How is it capable of being partitioned? As far as I know, you can only partition it if you open it up and seat the hard drive in an enclosure as there is no way to mount the TC's HDD directly in Disk Utility.

Unless you're talking about creating fixed size disk images and whatnot.

Also, if you plan on using it solely as a wireless hard drive, it has to be joined as a wireless client to your current network or acting as an extender if it is not the primary router. It's extremely difficult to get it working seamlessly as a wireless drive if you are connected to a network and it is not a part of that network.

Lastly, while you can store files directly onto the TC's hard drive, it's not recommended to use it as a Time Machine backup AND a NAS at the same time. You may find yourself running out of space sooner rather than later.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You access Time Capsule's hard drive through Apple's AirPort utility, From there you can partition it

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
You access Time Capsule's hard drive through Apple's AirPort utility, From there you can partition it

Actually, the only thing you are capable of doing to the hard drive through AirPort Utility is to erase it. It does not allow you to partition it.

Just a quick question, is the Time Capsule hard drive any faster at connecting/transferring to a Mac compared to an Airport Extreme with an external drive attached?

No. From what I've read online, and from my own experience, the speeds are roughly the same. Here is a link from the Apple support site that shows some numbers for AirDisk performance:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6899076

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I like my Time Capsule but I don't think I will go this route again. No because I've had any problems with it but more because in retrospect, I think a better configuration is to have a dedicated router (Airport Extreme) with a dedicated backup drive--two separate units. As for the original units, I think heat did play a major factor in their failure--mine sits in a very cool location all by itself and seem to stay pretty cool. BTW it is an original unit straight from China.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Actually, the only thing you are capable of doing to the hard drive through AirPort Utility is to erase it. It does not allow you to partition it.
You're right, its been so long since I last went into the airport utility, I completely forgot that you can only erase it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.