time capsule questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stefmesman, Jun 24, 2011.

1. stefmesman macrumors 6502

so i needed a new router ( my old one supports g only and i have a 120mbps network) so i was thinking of buying an time capsule. i have been backing up to an external for now, but i tend to forget alot and i want to make it easier.

first of all: i have other PC laptop users in the house. i read they can also make use of the time capsule. (wifi only?) but i didnt see anywhere if they can also use the HD? can a pc also backup to time capsule? if so? does it need to be NTFS? id rather keep the whole drive HFS+ if possible. any software for windows to make it writable and readable? (else i just go the 1tb HFS+, 1tb NTFS)

second: should i just put my current external on the usb port and use the time machine HDD as a second backup/filestorage? the speed im backing up witch right now is not that slow anyway. whats the max throughput over wifi to the time capsule?

hope someone can answer these :)

thanks! :D

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

By PC I guess you mean Windows OS? If so, no, they cannot back up to a time capsule unless you partition it so that one partition is readable by Windows for back up and the other for your Mac OS Time Machine....well okay you COULD make the entire Time Capsule NTFS, but then Time Machine will not automatically back up to it, you would have to back up manually or use some sort of back up program.

If you need a router and want automatic back up for your Mac, a Time Capsule is one option, you could then hang your external drive you use for back ups now off of the USB port of the Time Capsule and use that HDD for your Windows back ups, keeping your Time Capsule for your Mac back ups.