Time Capsule Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by X3NIA, Jul 19, 2011.

1. X3NIA macrumors member

Okay, going to make this as TL;DR as possible.

I have a Macbook Pro (2011, New to OSX :D) as a main computer, I also use an Xbox360 and PS3 pretty extensively, the only things wirelessly connected to my router (Linksys WRT54GL flashed with Tomato Firmware) is SOMETIMES my Macbook... Other household members usually use the wireless.

I'm looking to buy a Time Capsule so I can easily back up my Mac *AND* Listen stream music to other devices (Especially including the gaming systems) and backup my pictures.

Is it possible to hard wire the time capsule into my network and have it work as it is set up now? Could Windows computers access it as well? Would it play nicely with my Xbox / PS3 too?

OR, If it wouldn't, Is there a sub-$300 way to setup a comparable NAS to do all of the tasks I mentioned above? I'm completely new to the whole network storage thing, hence me thinking the time capsule would be my best bet.

Thanks for any info, guys!

2. InfoTime macrumors 6502

It should work fine for what you're asking. There are other products out there like Synology that makes a NAS that includes Time Machine compatibility.

For my money and piece of mind I'm not going to backup my Mac to anything but what Apple approves of. I've had mixed results using a Windows Home Server from HP for Time Machine backups. It would work for a while then quit. HP support helped some, but I think I figured it out on my own that first time. The second time, with an upgraded server, when it failed I gave up after trying all the known fixes.

So, stick with the Time Capsule! :D