Time Capsule questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Broph, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

Hi,

Looking at a Time Capsule - From what I gather, they're a router, with a hard drive so I can wirelessly back up data with Time Capsule.

If I plug my Time Capsule in to my TV via USB, could I watch movies on the TV that are backed up on to the Time Capsule? Like an external hard drive?

Below are links to a refurbished previous model, and the latest model... are there any differences between the two except the storage capacity?

http://store.apple.com/nz/product/FC343X/A

http://store.apple.com/nz/product/MD032X/A/Time-Capsule-2TB

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

No. The USB on the Time Capsule is strictly for connecting USB HDDs, printers or a combination of both with a hub.

3. Broph thread starter macrumors 6502

Broph

Am I correct to assume that if I got a Time Capsule + Apple TV, it could stream movies that were on the Time Capsule to the TV?

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

No plugging in a USB cable from your TV in your time capsule's USB port won't let you do anything at all with the media store on the time capsule.

However, if you get any cheap mac that has a TV output port (HDMI port or a DisplayPort) then you'd be able to hook it up to your TV, and also connect the time capsule to that Mac, then you'd be able to play the time capsule's backed up video files on your TV through the Mac's TV output port

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

6. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

USB is a client/host-based bus, with peripherals being clients and whatever you hook them up to acting as the host. That's why there's two different USB plugs on a cord for a device with a detachable cord; a rectangular plug in one end and a square plug in the other so that you can't hook things up incorrectly.

In this case the Time Capsule is a host, and a TV with USB input is a host, and both want to be boss, so they can't talk to each other. :)

7. Broph thread starter macrumors 6502

Broph

8. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

9. skorpien macrumors 68020

10. nutmac macrumors 68040

In order to watch video stored in iTunes library on your HDTV, you need either (1) Apple TV or (2) iPad (1 or 2), iPod touch (4th generation), or iPhone (4 or 4S).

iPad, iPod touch, and iPhone have storage, so all you need is Apple Digital AV Adapter for HDMI connection to your TV.

Since Apple TV lacks storage, it needs to either (1) stream over the Internet (e.g., iTunes Store, Netflix) or (2) Mac or PC running iTunes.

As for Time Capsule, it does not run iTune. It would be nice if did, but it only provides file sharing, printer sharing, and Time Machine backup services. It could, however, be used as a storage for Mac or PC running iTunes.