Time Capsule Questions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fooj, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Fooj macrumors member

I have a few questions about this new time capsule coming out soon.

I love the idea of wireless backups, i understand it will work with windows machines to, is this correct? anyone no how it will work with windows?

Will it jsut appear as a network drive?

I also have an ADSL connection which involves a modem to dial up, my current wireless router, a netgear, has a modem built in. I understand the time capsule is not ADSL compatabile, would i be able to then share my internet connection using my netgear router as a modem, then plug that into the time capsule via ethernet to share it, and then set that up as my wireless router?

I think that makes sense.

Thanks in Advance

2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Time Machine is a feature of Leopard. So it won't even work with Macs loaded with older versions. With Windows, you still need to do backups the old fashioned way with a portable drive.

3. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Does it only work with Time Machine? i am a little disappointed to be honest, i would love to use it as a drag and drop wireless hard drive.

4. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

The question is about Time Capsule (the device), not Time Machine.

I'm not exactly sure how it will work with Windows, but Steve said it would, so yes... I'm expecting it would work as any NAS would... it would work as a Network drive using the wireless router (and it would probably be just as speedy as a regular USB hard drive).

In regards to your connection, it really depends on whether your ADSL modem can connect to the internet on its own or not. Usually all DSL modems have an interface you can log into to supply all the information it needs (rather than depending on a router or other appliance to do that). If that is true, then you can plug your Time Capsule directly into your ADSL modem and it will work right from the get go. That's really how the AirPort and Airport Express work, so I don't see why you would have any problems. If it does become a problem, then yes... use your Netgear router the way you explained and it should work well.

5. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Nope, you *can* use it with Time Capsule, but its really not necessary if you don't want it to be... it's just a speedy network hard drive (like any wireless NAS)... this one is just a smart one.