Time Capsule questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Wingnut330, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Has it ever been determined if Time Capsule can be used as your promary storage device? Can it be used with Time Machine to backup external drives? The website reads like it can, but so did the literature on the AEBS.

I have a mini and want to get a 500GB external drive to use as my main storage device then use the Time Capsule as back of that main external drive. Is this possible?

2. gyumilly macrumors member

From what I heard, people are having trouble working AEBS and external HDD together and Apple hasn't released any new driver for it. If you want to store and backup your data, time capsule seems the way to go. I'm looking into buying one myself.

3. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

i'm using an external hard drive plugged into my AEBS. I have no issues.

4. JMH65 macrumors newbie

Just curious, have you had this set-up long? I have 3 AEBS's in my home network and have always experienced issues with disconnects to my G-Drive 500 GB external drive hooked up to one of the base stations. I use a work around by typing in the path name to the named drive in "Connect to Server" feature in Finder, but even that connection is interrupted when my MacBook goes to sleep. I am running Leopard with 7.2.1 firmware on the AEBS's. I have read where some have rolled back to firmware 7.1.1 with some succes in correcting the connection issues but since everything else seems to work well I have been slow to try this. Still hoping Apple will address this since their support forums have been lit up for months with complaints.