Time Capsule Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tray, Mar 4, 2008.

1. tray macrumors member

Hi all,

I have read several threads but because everyone provides conflicting and different answers I believe it is necessary to start a new thread to ask these questions:

I have a mixture of b/g/n devices in my household. Does the network's performance suffer - for example, would the network be throttled to b speeds?

I believe TC appears as a networked volume and you can use it as a shared drive to store files while also using it for Time Machine (TM) backups. However, can you partition the drive so that TC uses only a fixed amount of space for TM backups?

I appreciate any advice you can provide

Thank you.

2. tray thread starter macrumors member

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

There will be some throughput degradation for n devices when a b device is active. How much depends, worst case is everyone has a b data rate.

The TC provides no partitioning. I believe the way it works is when you save files there, TM will just use the rest of the space, adjusting the number of backups to fit the space, and complain when files are taking up so much room that there there is not enough room for one backup. There is no fixed boundary, it adjusts in relation to data file size. But I have not pushed the limits, so I do not have first hand knowledge of actual performance.