Time Capsule Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jw nyc, Apr 9, 2008.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

If I use Time Capsule as my backup hard drive for Time Machine, can I still use the rest of the storage to share items over my wireless network? In other words, by using Time Capsule with Time Machine, do I lose the ability to use Time Capsule as a shared network drive?

Also, if I CAN use it as a shared network drive, can I set permissions for who on the network can access certain files and folders? Thanks for the help.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yes you can. I use it for both without any problems.

And as for permissions, the people on your network will need either the Time Capsule or the Hard Disk password to access the disk on the Time Capsule. This is different from the SSID password. So long as you don't set the workgroup name in the AirPort Utility's Disks menu (for PC users) they'll need the passwords to connect. No password = no access. The only problem you might run into is if they are backing up their machines to the Time Capsule, they'll also have access to the hard disk. But I think you can set up accounts on the Time Capsule hard disk and they won't be able to access your files. I'm not entirely sure if you're able to set permissions for specific files and folders on the Time Capsule though (never tried this).

3. argentinrican macrumors newbie

Set Permissions

Can I set permissions on My Time Capsule to read and write but no one can delete unless it's me.