time capsule questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by beerglass007, Aug 21, 2008.

1. beerglass007 macrumors 6502

Hi all

I've just brought myself a TC and wondering about a few things.

I've got an iphone,MBP, dell laptop and PS3.

Now all these use the wireless and only the MBP has N. I've enabled it as mixed mode b/g/n on 2.4ghz.

I understand 2.4ghz has greater distance than 5ghz but this isn't a problem because i'm in the same room with all devices.

But what about the speed. Will I get the full N speed when using just the MBP and only downgrade my speed when another G device attaches? Will this then increase when that G client disconnects again?

All does the HDD inside the TC spin down when not in use and only acts like a wireless AP to save power?

I also see that you can port mapping for inbound connections but my old linksys wireless router i could apply access rules to these. For example I might only want a certain class C address range to access a inbound port 80 rule. So only these clients can access my internal web server.
    Is this possible with the TC?

Many Thanks All

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

If all the devices are in the same room why are you using wireless. If you care about speed buy some cat5 cable and then every device gets a full 200Mb/s.

The Apple router doe some things the Lynksys can't but in general the Lynksys router has a larger feature set. I think Apple kept their device simple to make it easier to use and understand of the average user. Routing rules are not something most Mac users know about.

3. beerglass007 thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't wire the iphone and dell laptop very well. Also the TC only has 3 ethernet sockets and i've used these for a media streamer, home server etc