Time Capsule Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by danny_boy, Feb 19, 2009.

1. danny_boy macrumors member

Hi There,

I currently have a Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Router. I would like to purchase a Time Capsule and set it up as a wireless bridge.

The Netgear is downstairs in the living room and has my Xbox, Xbox 360 and HD DVD player plugged into the Ethernet ports. My iMac and girlfriends MacBook connect wirelessly.

My question is can I use the Time Capsule in Bridge mode and utilise the Ethernet connections for my iMac? This way backups will be much quicker to the Time Capsule. If anyone sees any areas in my setup that could be improved please let me know.

Thanks,

Dan

2. coopermac macrumors member

The ideal way is to connect the TC in bridge mode to the Netgear router via ethernet. This will allow you to do exactly what you want and maintain a speedy connection. You also have the option of keeping your "g" wireless kit connected to the Netgear and set up the TC to run any "n" only wireless kit to keep that speed up should you wish.

3. danny_boy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks that's an idea but with the two devices being in different parts of the house. Running a cable between the two devices I'm sure my girlfriend would oppose unless I can hide the cable really well :)

Would the original setup work without the Ethernet between the two devices?

4. gwihannom macrumors member

It will work, but it won't be the best.

Although Time Capsule is able to be in a bridge mode or an access point mode, it's better to have Time Capsule be the primary router.

Just have your first initial backup to be done via ethernet. After that, all Time Machine backups are incremental and it won't take much time at all. Time Machine only backs up modified files, and all the rest of the unmodified files are "linked" to the first or previously modified backups. (Makes sense, or did my explanation suck?)

Unless I makes changes to raw video files that have 1-2GBs in size, usually my backups take only a couple of minutes, that's it. Then again, I do a lot of document fixes or music downloads, so my file sizes aren't that big.

You won't even need to have two routers. But if you want to, as coopermac explained, you might be able to have one router distributing G/B and Time Capsule to distribute N.

My opinion is that, you won't even need to do that.

I thought about what you are trying to when I was first setting up, but once I actually practiced it, it wasn't practical at all. And the performance wasn't that great.

I have Time Capsule as a primary and sole router. Only one. Distributing wireless N mixed with G/B. My girlfriend's MBA and my MBP both backup to Time Capsule using Time Machine.
    We have both machines backup and still have about 300GB available on Time Capsule. And also have 640GB of external USB hard drive attached to the USB port of Time Capsule. Plenty of space.

Hope the setup goes well.

5. gwihannom macrumors member

I just realized that your ADSL router might also be your modem, is that right?
    If that's the case what I said needs some tweaking.

But the bottom line, having Time Capsule be in bridge mode wirelessly isn't the best performance.

6. danny_boy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. Yes my current router is also my ADSL modem. Well at least I know what I'm trying to do can be done, but the trade off being performance.

What sort of performance hit will I be looking at with the Time Capsule in a bridge? Only wireless G speeds as thats what my current router is capable of? I'll keep in mind to perform the first backup over Ethernet. :)

7. gwihannom macrumors member

Depending on the distance between your Mac and Time Capsule, the realistic transfer rate you'll get is around 6~9 mbps.

From your setup, the speed will drop to 3~5 mbps. At least that's what I experience.

Have your current router/modem distribute G/B, and add Time Capsule to it via ethernet distributing N only. That should be the most ideal setup for you. Bridging it wirelessly to your current router is doable, but not recommended.