Time Capsule questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by grapemac, Aug 7, 2009.

1. grapemac macrumors regular

Hey. I begin uni next month and have been offered accommodation. My room won't have wifi but will have a wired connection.

I'm wondering, is it possible to - rather than connect my MacBook - connect the Time Capsule to this connection and create a wireless network? Also, is it simple to switch from one connection (my current wifi at home) to another (the uni connection)? Finally, is it easy to switch from being connected via Ethernet to using wifi (after initial backup for example)?

Thanks. The lack of wifi would really be rubbish when I have an iPhone and Time Capsule

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

of course that would be no problem. and once your computer is set up to access both your home wifi and the wifi at school, it'll automatically connect to whichever is present. and you can set up a connection hierarchy, telling your computer to first use ethernet if it's hooked up, then wifi second. seamless.

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It should be an easy connection, but if the wired ethernet connection is being provided by your school, then make sure that it isn't in violation of and terms you agreed to. I know of many schools (including my own) that do not allow students to add a wifi network to the school's existing network. So you'll want to make sure of that before you go ahead and do this.

EDIT: It appears you are in the UK so I'm not sure of what the standard policy tends to be over there, but I would check with the school first (just to be safe).

4. grapemac thread starter macrumors regular

Ace. Thanks guys. Also, I'm wondering about the security of this new wireless network? Is it easy for anyone else sharing the flat/halls to access my backed up files? Does this wireless network use the settings of the uni network or do I create a password for it?

-NOVICE-

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I am not exactly sure, but you will probably want to add your own level of security to the router, otherwise anybody else in/near the building will be able to access it. I am not sure about being able to access your files, but they'd be able to gain access to the internet through it.

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

it has great security built in. just pick a password, and that's the only part that you have to worry about. Have you checked out the features of the time capsule? Many of your questions are pretty basic, so it might be helpful to check it out.

7. grapemac thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so my Time Capsule arrived today and it's connected to my current home network.

I realise others have asked questions very similar to the ones I'm going to ask but it's much simpler to follow when I describe my very own situation/set-up.

PART ONE.

I have a Belkin modem/router, best it does is g - no n. Currently my set-up is Internet > Belkin modem/router > Time Capsule wirelessly > MacBook via ethernet.

Now, my first back up is happening now and seems to be taking an hour per GB. This is even when through the ethernet cable. The green light is on at the back of the Time Capsule, so it is recognising an ethernet cable is plugged in. When I first set it up, I switched off Airport and it stopped backing up even though the ethernet cable was plugged in. I called Apple, the guy told me to do exactly what was already in place. I continued to back up again and it was a little faster but nowhere near how fast I imagine it should be (as I said, about an hour per GB).

Any suggestions for why this is?

PART 2.

And, I know I can place Time Capsule as the dominant router, but is it possible to do this (so that I can use n rather than g) when the other router is also the modem (in one unit).

Thanks for any constructive responses.