Time Capsule Questions!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cameronfield, Aug 31, 2009.

1. cameronfield macrumors member

Ok, so I'm considering getting a time capsule and have a few questions.

First, let me explain my network setup:

We have our modem >> wireless linksyss router >> rest of house

We have 4 laptops, 3 tivos, and then our phones/ipods (all wireless)

We have my xbox 360 (wired)

So here are my questions:

1) Once I move out could the time capsule be used as a wireless router? And if so would it work well enough?

2) Once I move out would xbox live work fine through the TC?

3) Could I access the content of the TC with my 360? (I really want to do this if possible)

4) If I had the 1TB TC and the backups didn't take up all the 1TB (obviously wouldn't) can I use the rest of the drive as a media server? Like to store my movies and all that?

5) Lastly, if I was going to use the TC with my current setup at my house could I use it like this:

modem >> wireless router >> TC

(>> = wired connection)

Would that be the best way to set it up? Would that also provide the quickest speeds?

2. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

Some insight

1) Once I move out could the time capsule be used as a wireless router? And if so would it work well enough?
    Yes, that what I do and it's perfect for 6 devices.

2) Once I move out would xbox live work fine through the TC?
    Yes, I use the wireless adapter, but the wired connection is even better

3) Could I access the content of the TC with my 360? (I really want to do this if possible)
    Yes I used Connect 360 and Rivet. Rivet is better. I have a MacMini now, so I don't use it for that anymore.

4) If I had the 1TB TC and the backups didn't take up all the 1TB (obviously wouldn't) can I use the rest of the drive as a media server? Like to store my movies and all that?
    Yes, Works perfectly for streaming all media to mac mini/ 360. Sometimes HD chokes up a little bit.

5) Lastly, if I was going to use the TC with my current setup at my house could I use it like this:

modem >> wireless router >> TC

(>> = wired connection)

Would that be the best way to set it up? Would that also provide the quickest speeds?

I use the modem to TC under N mode, then I have a wireless G router to stream to iphone and Xbox. If you have N and G devices on one router, the speed is going to be G, not N. It works better for me to use N devices on the TC and G on the LinkSys router.
    You will be fine. Good luck.