Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhino420

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
im looking at buying a time capsule but im looking to get the last years 500gb model MB276LL/A since i already have a 500gb western digital hard drive im looking to hook it up to the time capsule so i have 1tb total. anywho.... what im wondering if this model mb276ll/a will do the dual band support the new 1tb and 2tb models have? i have looked everywhere to find an answer but have been stumped any help would be much appreciated. ive looked at apple.com and looked at both time capsule manuals for early and recent time capsules and they both indicate that they both do the dual band i just want to make sure thanks

Rhino420

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Capsule_(Apple)

1st gen. Won't do simultaneous dual band. Also, adding a 500GB external won't expand your total storage. It will simply add a second networked disk. There is no way to merge the two into one disk.

maybe i misspoke i was trying to have 1tb total as in two 500gb drives im not in need of them working as one just two drives working wireless for my time machine to backup....

and i think you guys are right the 1st gen wont do daul band does anyone know fi the 2nd gen does? im trying not to spend 299 on this thing

Rhino420

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
sweet just found one for 149.00 for the 1tb im gonna swoop it up quick ! anything else i should be worried about

Rhino420

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
okay this might sound like a dumb question so im ordering a 1tb time capsule

i just picked up a macbook for the wife and a mbp for me.... my mbp has a 500gb harddrive and she has the 250hd ... now does that mean im gonna use up 750gb on my timecapsule automatically ? or does the timecapsule only back up what is currently on the mbp and mb harddrives so for instance she has 50gb used up already and i have 100gb so when it backs up will it just back up the 150gb or all 750gb? i hope i explained that well enough thanks for the help in advance

alexh123drum

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
Manchester, UK
okay this might sound like a dumb question so im ordering a 1tb time capsule

i just picked up a macbook for the wife and a mbp for me.... my mbp has a 500gb harddrive and she has the 250hd ... now does that mean im gonna use up 750gb on my timecapsule automatically ? or does the timecapsule only back up what is currently on the mbp and mb harddrives so for instance she has 50gb used up already and i have 100gb so when it backs up will it just back up the 150gb or all 750gb? i hope i explained that well enough thanks for the help in advance

You would only use it up if you have 500GB or data, and your wife has 250GB. It won't backup empty drive space from your machines.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
The rule of thumb is to have twice as much backup space as you do hard drive space since Time Machine will make multiple copies of files that have changed over time. That being said, as others have mentioned Time Machine will back up only the amount of hard drive space you have used initially (and in subsequent backups those files that have changed or are new), so depending on your usage you should be fine with a 1 TB drive. Another option would be to get a 500 GB drive dedicated to your wife's backups and connect it to the TC's USB port. And if you want to add additional drives to network you can use a USB hub.

Also, my apologies if I misunderstood your question. I've just read a lot of threads with people under the impression that you can expand the Time Capsule's storage by adding hard drives (as per RAID array).

Rhino420

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
awesome responses guys... after i read my post again i figured that it would just back up only data used boy did i feel silly.. ha ha anyways im going to hook up my 500 wd to it so i will have a total of 1.5 tb but thanks for the responses guys. and to add insult to injury.. the 1tb time capsule ended up being 127 with 10 shipping and i sold my netgear mimo router to a co-worker of mine making the final price of this time capsule 87 bucks im so stoked!! cant wait to get it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.