Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techcafe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
just got a new 2GB Time Capsule (it's gorgeous, at least on the outside)... but to my question: is it possible to enable 802.11n only on the TC; that is, disable all other wireless modes (a/b/g), and just have .n running in the 5GHz range (where it's less crowded/noisy).

i know the 'simultaneous dual band' thing is supposed to be a selling feature, but all my wireless clients support 802.11n, so rather than add to all the wifi noise in my neighbourhood, i'd rather turn off the band i'm not using, namely the 2.4GHz band. having to create 'separate networks' for each band is a bit of a pain too. i'd like the option to enable/disable each band independently of each other.

that functionality could easily be added as another option in the Radio Mode listbox (of the AirPort Utility).

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Have you tried holding down option (I believe) and clicking on the drop down? That will give you more options for your radio modes. I'm not at my Mac so I can't confirm, but maybe one of the options will be to turn the 2.4GHz radio off.

techcafe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
tada!

Have you tried holding down option (I believe) and clicking on the drop down? That will give you more options for your radio modes. I'm not at my Mac so I can't confirm, but maybe one of the options will be to turn the 2.4GHz radio off.

aha! thank you for your brilliance!

i had no clue about the 'option button' thing, but you'll have to forgive my ignorance... i'm a mac newbie.

with your help, i have just configured my Capsule for 802.11n / 5GHz operation only. excellent, thank you. :)

PS - ok, maybe i spoke too soon... it appears that there is no option to disable the 2.4GHz radio, only the protocol that is transmitted over it can be changed. so, at present, i am still left with TWO 802.11n networks, in both 5GHz and 2.4GHz ranges.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008

i had no clue about the 'option button' thing, but you'll have to forgive my ignorance... i'm a mac newbie.

with your help, i have just configured my Capsule for 802.11n / 5GHz operation only. excellent, thank you. :)

Haha! Glad I helped. I too was a Mac newbie once. You pick these things up along the way. Welcome aboard!

Edit: I guess you can't disable the 2.4 GHz radio. Now that I'm at my Mac, I can't find any way to do that. Sorry to say but it seems you're stuck with two bands :-S

alhajis

macrumors member
May 3, 2009
PS - ok, maybe i spoke too soon... it appears that there is no option to disable the 2.4GHz radio, only the protocol that is transmitted over it can be changed. so, at present, i am still left with TWO 802.11n networks, in both 5GHz and 2.4GHz ranges.

You can't change that! You'll always see 2 SSID, one with 2.4ghz and the other with 5.4ghz. I try to change it with no luck, and the wpa2 keys work with both, they are the same.

techcafe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
no option to disable 2.4GHz radio

Haha! Glad I helped. I too was a Mac newbie once. You pick these things up along the way. Welcome aboard!

Edit: I guess you can't disable the 2.4 GHz radio. Now that I'm at my Mac, I can't find any way to do that. Sorry to say but it seems you're stuck with two bands :-S

yup, i see that. i've configured both bands for 802.11n. although, only the 5GHz band is actually in-use.

still, i'd like the option to disable the (2.4GHz) band that i'm not using; to minimize extraneous wifi noise (which is already over-crowded in my building & neighbourhood), and for security reasons (one less vector for potential attacks on my network).

maybe Apple will provide us with an option to disable the 2.4GHz radio in a future firmware update... hopefully.

thanks again, skorpien, for your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.