Time Capsule ratings?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by None Such, Nov 24, 2010.

1. None Such macrumors 6502

I want to get one but I'm kind of scared away by all the bad ratings. Multiple mentions of it dying 14-18 months after purchase. To Time Capsule users, what's your experience?

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I know what you mean about all the bad reports, but my personal experience with Time Capsule has been completely positive. My 500GB TC is now 2 1/2 years old (purchased May 2008) and has performed flawlessly. Surprisingly, the serial number of mine is within the Apple-acknowledged problem batch, and it's still working.

I don't know if it matters, but mine has always been placed by itself atop a bookshelf, and not jammed up next to a lot of other electronic gear. Because of that, perhaps mine has run cooler than many people's. Just a guess.

A few weeks ago I opened up my TC and replaced the original 500GB drive with a WD Caviar Green 2TB drive. It was very easy to do following instructions I found here http://www.applefritter.com/node/23907 and the result has been working great.

That's my experience. Who knows if the current ones are destined to die or not. I like mine enough that I'd personally buy a new one if I needed one, but I totally understand those who've had one die and would never buy another one.

Regards,
    Brian33

3. Hestian macrumors newbie

Had mine two years this month--------works great!

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Well, Brian--at least that is two of us with original Time Capsules still humming along. No problems with mine either--and it is also in the recall batch--and was a preorder for me--so it is of the original batch direct from China. I too like to mention that mine is on the bottom shelf of my computer desk--all by itself--and it stays relatively cool--and never seems that warm to the touch. :)

5. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Heh heh -- good to hear!