Time Capsule refresh? Not listed in Buyer's Guide

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Max Book, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Max Book macrumors member

I've been contemplating getting a Time Capsule, but now it's been awhile since it was released and I was wondering if they were due for a refresh? I could not find anything about it in the Buyer's Guide.

2. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

The only thing they could potentially update is the hard drive size. The Draft-N wireless spec won't change, the interfaces won't change (it's supposed to work wirelessly, so there's no point in adding FireWire or even eSATA), the form factor is fine as it is and the software can be updated at any time. So just the drive size, really. You could just buy the smallest/cheapest and install a new hard drive yourself. Don't know if that voids the warranty, but it's the easiest way right now to get an 'all new and updated' Time Capsule.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I don't really know what they would be refreshing other than possibly a bigger HD but I doubt that since you can get one with a 1TB drive in it. It already has the latest wifi and wired Ethernet technologies in it. There really isn't anything to update but that is just my opinion. I could be dead wrong.

4. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

All they could do is change how it looks, lower price, change 500Gb to 750Gb, add more Ethernet Ports, More things supported on USB (God i would love a software update to allow you to plug in an ipod, then sync it etc)

5. Max Book thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I was mainly inquiring about drive size. I didn't want to buy the 500 gig & then see a 750 for the same price the next day. Although the idea about synching iPod might be nice. Thanks for the replies:). I guess I'll get one.

6. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

apple has plenty of things that need updating before the TC.

I'd say the current TC will go for another year or so without an update.