Time Capsule refresh soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by loby, May 2, 2011.

1. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Does anyone know "if" or when a refresh for Time Capsule 1T is coming out? It has been some time now, and I have read users have had issues with it.

Some users have had their hard drives go out, losing their data after about 1.5 years of use. :confused: It is in multiple feedback entries on Apple's Store site...

Any thoughts? I would like to purchase one, but I am reconsidering...would like some advise. Thanks

2. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

I would like to see a Duel drive raid TC with user replaceable drives and a better cooling solution . So far I have had one fail between 8 and 14 months old since they launched , and it's sat on a low shelf in an open to air on all sides unit PSU failure every time, capacitors burst.

They are very very poor design from a heat dissipation standpoint . I'd prefer a next gen one to go with a MagSafe replaceable PSU

3. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

a time capsule server would be nice. dual drives with RAID1 (back up/mirror the 1 drive), raid-0 one big drive, or split -- each drive is independent so you can back up one set of machines to one and store files on the other.

they need proper ventilation in them for sure, with the powersupply and the wireless cards causing heat on top of the hard drive being a huge heat component its a wonder they havent redesigned it to some degree yet.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

Le Big Mac

Unless they change the power supply the only thing really to update is either the price or the capacity.

I thought they had fixed the capacitor problem. The first batch (1 year+) was dying, but have they continued to die for newer models?

5. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

ive had, the original 512gb die at 14months, a 2Tb die at 8 months, and another "2nd gen" 1Tb die at 14 months.

the only thing they "fixed" was a firmware update that keeps the HDD spun down as much as possible to minimise heat build up and turns the internal useless fan on low almost all the time, the components in my original TM and the new TM are identical apart from the upgrade double antenna WIFI and bigger HDD.

apple will ignore a design fault if they can "patch around it" and potentially fix it if they can be bothered to way down the line

6. Detrius macrumors 68000

I don't care what they change so long as it's user-replaceable, and until then, I will continue to recommend against them to customers. As it stands, it's barely technician-replaceable, as the rubber bottom normally gets torn in opening the thing.

7. MacPro23 macrumors member

I wouldn't be surprised if they are planning on coming out with a Thunderbolt-equipped Time Capsule considering they are adding them across the Mac lineup.

8. ledzeppelin macrumors member

ledzeppelin

I got to agree with you...how could they make it so difficult...remember the overheating issues...it really runs too hot...idea is good but I would not buy it all over again I would buy separate router and backup hard drive...

9. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Like to see a 3TB , Thunderbolt, user serviceable unit.

10. shenfrey macrumors 68000

For me ( a casual user) 1TB is more then enough for my music and documents, don't really see the reason to update.

11. Jacquesass macrumors regular