Time Capsule Renames HD After Power Loss

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by richard13, Jan 12, 2014.

1. richard13 macrumors 6502a

I recently purchased a new "tower" 2TB Time Capsule and I think I've uncovered a pretty nasty bug here.

When I first set it up I formatted the HD inside it and renamed it from "Data" to "Time Capsule HD". When I set up Time Machine I selected "Time Capsule HD" and ticked the "Encrypt Backups" check box. I gave it a password and away it went. It did my backups just fine.

Later on I rebooted (not reset) the Time Capsule. I noticed that my Time Machine backups were now failing. When I went to see what was wrong I got a pop-up (attached). But when I went to investigate I found the real problem. "Time Capsule HD" was nowhere to be found. And of the available disks only "Data" was available! It seems the HD was renamed back to "Data" with the "Encrypt Backups" check box unchecked.

I guess I can avoid all this by leaving the name HD named "Data" in the first place but that just doesn't seem right. On my older Time Capsule I renamed the HD and had no problems whatsoever.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Attached Files:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have the same tower Time Capsule (TC) and I don't see that issue. I erased the disk as TC_Disk when I got it and it has been fine.

When this happened, did you try viewing the TC disk in Finder? What did the disk look like in Airport Utility when this happened (screen below)?

[​IMG]

3. richard13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes. When I click on the Time Capsule in Finder the "sharepoint" is called "Data". Also, if I go into the Airport Utility it is also listed as "Data". It still shows usage (1.7TB of 2.0TB available) so it doesn't look like the drive was wiped but it certainly was renamed for some reason. I'm wondering if I have defective unit.

Have you ever rebooted your TC? May I ask what version of firmware and Airport Utility are you using?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmmm... odd. :confused:

I have rebooted mine before. I am on FW 7.7.2 and AU 6.3.2.

5. richard13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have the same FW and AU.

I think I figured out what went wrong here. I was about to give up when I realized that there was a reset button in the back. I pressed that for a few seconds and released. This allowed the unit to be brought back to factory settings and let me re-add the TC to my network.

Once setup was done I renamed the HD and rebooted. Sure enough the renamed HD stays the same!

In now recall when I first set up the TC I was having difficulty getting it on my network and the old TC removed. I think because of the non-standard way it got added that maybe some of the setup steps got skipped or something.

Anyway, mystery solved. :)