Time Capsule replacement option?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by ron4735, Mar 6, 2017.

1. ron4735 macrumors newbie

I plan to replace my 2012 Time Capsule with a separate router using an Ethernet cable connected to my modem. Will I lose Airplay (or any other Apple-related) functionality on my iOs devices by doing this? I am using El Capitan OS with my MacBook Air(500 gb SSID/8gb ram). What OS network settings need to be changed and in what SEQUENCE in order to make the new router changeover seamless. I will continue backing up to the Cloud and have a USB-connected external hard drive to my MB Air. What considerations am I missing or failing to ask about here? I am changing only because Apple no longer supports Time Capsule. Thanks in advance to all who offer assistance!

2. techwarrior macrumors 6502

techwarrior

Apple still supports TC, they have been rumored to have re-assigned staff to other projects but not officially announced discontinuing the line of AP products. Read into that what you may, but they will support the products for several years at least. They have issued at least one FW update concurrent with, or shortly after the rumored announcement of re-assigning staff.

Airplay should work with most routers, it is a local area broadcast based service much like DHCP and network file sharing. Some routers will document which settings need to be enabled for Airplay to work (probably enable UPnP), but most should just work out of the box.

The new router can be configured with the same SSID and security for Wi-Fi and all devices will automatically connect. You may want to set the internal network IP and DHCP range to match the TC settings, but that is not critical as most devices will eventually request a new IP address.

So, in short, power down the TC, connect and power up the new router, connect a Mac (or PC) to the Ethernet ports on the new router, navigate to the web interface to configure it (manual that ships with the router should give particulars), setup WAN (this may just work out of the box as most are configured to use DHCP to get a WAN address from he ISP), and confirm you can access the internet, then setup LAN IP address and DHCP range, and Wi-Fi settings. Most routers will restart when the settings are changed.

Oh, and change the admin password, disable WAN administration and change default SSID and passwords on Wi-Fi to ensure at least some security for your network.

Most routers will come with a default SSID and password and Wi-Fi enabled (check the manual), so if you cannot connect via Ethernet to the new router, join the new Wi-Fi and make the above setting changes, then connect to the old SSID once settings are changed to match the old TC Wi-Fi credentials.

If you don't use the same Wi-Fi SSID and security settings, you will need to connect each device to the new Wi-Fi SSID manually.

Once the new router is functional, if you want to use TC for a network file share, you can connect the old TC to the new network and use AP Utility to turn off Wi-Fi and set the network to bridged mode. Don't leave TC settings as a router and continue using it, it will likely bring your network down unless reconfigured to be a bridge.