Time Capsule, right for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by angemon89, May 25, 2009.

1. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Hey guys, I've been toying with the idea of getting myself a 500GB Time Capsule. I'm looking to get this one (previous gen) for $214 new from Amazon.

Currently I am using a 500GB WD Home external drive for backups and for storing files. I am down to my last gigabytes so I need some more space. If I added another drive I figure I can use one for backups(the time capsule) and the other for storing my movies/media (the WD drive).

To be honest I really don't like the idea of constant backups and kind of feel that these constant backups will slow things down on my iMac. Plus I don't really find it all that necessary to backup hourly. Right now I usually back up once a week.

Ok, my real question is, if I buy the Time Capsule and use it for weekly backups by toggling the Time Machine on/off button, will I encounter any problems? I don't want the drive inside the TC to be constantly spinning up and making noise either. Anyone else do similar with their TC?

BTW this Time Capsule will also be replacing an AEBS (fast ethernet version).

2. STXSTEVE macrumors member

STXSTEVE

Nope you will not have any problems.. I did the same thing in the past.