Time Capsule/Router Setup Help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jwc6160, Feb 3, 2016.

1. jwc6160 macrumors member

I currently have the A1355 Time Capsule (2009) hard wired from the ethernet and to my computer. Then upstairs I have an Airport Express (A1408) (2011) that repeats the signal to all other devices, iPad, iPhones, apple tvs, etc.

I am about to get gigabit internet installed and want to ensure I am going to take full advantage of the speeds. Both routers say they are gigabit for hard wired. My question is, since only the downstairs router is hardwired and the other modem and all other devices are connected wirelessly, do I need to upgrade either or both routers to have the fastest wireless speeds? The router set up has to be the way it is. I don't have the option to hard wire a router upstairs. Are they too old to pick up the fastest signals?

Thanks for any advice/info.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well you want a router to have the latest wireless (AC at the moment) with a 10/100/1000 WAN ports. So if you have any AC capaible devices I would replace that older Extreme and get the latest version. Plus make sure you use a CAT 6 Ethernet cable from the DOSIS 3 modem with your new connection.

3. jwc6160 thread starter macrumors member

Are you talking about the wire from the modem to my computer? So basically, I should be fine with the older time machine, but the repeater (airport express) should be upgraded in order to push out the fastest signal? If that is the case, I may just use ATTs router that they will provide if its possible with my setup. I am guess they will want their router hardwired though. I am thinking I should just get rid of the old time machine and buy a cheaper back up drive and then just use ATTs router plus a new airport. That would probably be the cheapest solution.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The Time Capsule is capable of a gigabit connection only over Ethernet. To achieve speeds over 450 Mbps over wireless, you will need to upgrade your main router to a new Time Capsule or Extreme if you desire to stick with an Apple option.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Yes. If you want the quickest wireless speed!