Time Capsule: save Leopard backup before SL update

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ZBriers, Sep 5, 2009.

1. ZBriers macrumors newbie

I just recently purchased a Time Capsule and backed up my machine while still running OS 10.5. Then I updated to Snow Leopard... however, my university just informed me that their exam software might not be compatible with SL, which means I would have to revert to 10.5 (which I have saved on the time capsule) come December for exams. A few questions:

1) This will be possible correct? I will be able to revert to the previous operating system using the back-up file?

2) Is there a way I can "lock" the oldest back-up file on time machine so that when the drive becomes full it deletes other, more recent files, to free up space but does not delete my latest (oldest) file which still has the old OS on it?

Thanks for your help

2. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

What I did was make sure my 10.5 was updated - then I logged into my TC and moved the sparse back-up file to a new folder.

I then upgraded and directed my back-up to a new location on my TC. This will require your machine to make a whole new back-up (takes hours) but in the long run I figure it is worth it. Plus, I have a fresh install backup.

Cheers.

3. jw2002 macrumors 6502

Just repartition your drive to hold both a 10.6 and 10.5 boot volume. Allocate all but 8 GB to 10.6, and use the remaining 8 GB for the 10.5 volume. Just maintain the minimum amount of stuff on 10.5 to run the clunky exam software that your university uses. This way you don't have to do a bunch of upgrade/downgrade steps.