Time Capsule seems very slow?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Virtuoso, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Virtuoso macrumors regular

I have a new 1TB TC connected at the moment only via wired gigabit ethernet and I'm just doing my first backup of 337GB. I started the backup last night and so far it's done 290GB and that has taken 10 hours - a hell of a lot longer than I was expecting.

Gigabit ethernet ideally should run at >100MB/s so even allowing for network overheads, the bottleneck ought to be the hard drive speed. Even at conservative estimates, this should give a transfer rate of >40MB/s which would make that backup take 140 minutes, as it does with a an external firewire drive.

It seems to be running at more like 8MB/s - why so slow?

I could understand if this was running over wireless, but this is plugged straight in to the box with wireless disabled. :(

2. zellar macrumors newbie

I'm doing my backup over non-gigabit ethernet and it is averaging around 2-3 MB/s. Very slow going for the 500GB backup I am trying to do.

It also failed right at the end of my first try (after 2 and a half days of transferring), so this is attempt #2.

I realize subsequent backups will be quicker, but this means that if my drive fails I will have to wait almost 3 days to recover it from the Time Capsule.

3. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I thought I had read the reason why the AEBS Air Disk was so slow was a CPU bottleneck, I can only imagine the TC uses the same configuration only with a built in drive.