Time Capsule set question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DrewM2, Aug 3, 2011.

1. DrewM2 macrumors newbie

I recently bought a Time Capsule. The setup went very smoothly, however, in looking around the advanced features, I came upon the optional 5 ghz box. I checked the box and now when I check my signal strength it shows both the 5 & 2.4 signals. I’ve found my computer (mid 2009 MBP usually defaults to the 2.4) I’ve tested the download speeds with both signals and didn’t really see a difference. Since TC streams both simultaneously, I’m wondering whether I should just uncheck the 5 ghz box or is there a way for my computer to recognize 5 stream consistently.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

You won't notice any speed differences when surfing the Internet. The speed comes into play when sharing files across computers on your network, be it streaming video or otherwise.

The 5GHz band is always enabled and a device will choose whichever signal is the strongest. If you want a device to always connect to the 5GHz band, give it a unique SSID.

My experience however is with Snow Leopard it's possible to default to the 2.4GHz SSID despite a unique SSID, but with Lion I haven't had any issues whatsoever (it always connects to the 5GHz SSID).