Time Capsule setup for ethernet and wireless

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slobizman, Jun 29, 2008.

1. slobizman macrumors member

I've got a Time Capsule attached to an Ethernet network, which gets it's internet access from DSL. I can't seem to get the configuration I want. I'd like it to be part of the ethernet network, available to Macs on the network, AND I'd like it to act as a wireless access point for Macbooks and Macbook Pros. But when I go through the Airport Utility install, once I tell it it is to connect to the network, which already has internet set up through DSL, then it won't allow me to set up wireless. It's as if it wants to work one way or the other.

And the instructions are confusing about which port in the back of the unit to insert the network cable.

I did manage to get it set up and connected to the network, and to deliver wireless, but I ended up creating a "bridge" and doing things I did not quite understand. I ended up creating a wireless network and I guess "bridging" that network with the ethernet. Maybe that's the right thing to do, I don't know. Maybe someone can tell me.

Maybe I'm just not understanding the terminology right. is "creating a wireless network" the same thing as merely creating a wireless access point for a wireless device to connect too? I guess I was thinking that they were two different things, maybe not.

So, it's probably a simple thing, and I hope someone can just tell me in what way I am supposed to set up the Time Capsule. I know I got it working, but i can't even remember how after a zillion tries I even got it working right.

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

What was the setup before you got the TC. Did you already have a network setup with wired computers to the DSL modem and you just want to add wireless and backup for your Macs? Or is this TC suppose to act as a network connection for all your computers to use the DSL modem?

3. slobizman thread starter macrumors member

I already had a functioning network delivering DSL to many PCs. I didn't need the TC for doing anything but 1) serve as a wireless access point and 2) backing up my new Macs (wireless and wired).

Thanks for your help.

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Then what you need to do is set it up as an access point that doesn't give out IP addresses of its own. You will need to plug the TC into the network you already have though the port that has a O above it. Then use a mac that is wireless or plugged into one of the other ports to configure it to just give wireless access.

5. slobizman thread starter macrumors member

I think that is what I have. The TC and Airport Expresses all are in bridge mode.

When I run a "What's my IP?" web site check on my MBP and on any computer on my network, the IP is the same, if this is useful info.

6. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Well, all your computer will show the same ISP address that is from your DSL modem. So you have internet connectivity, seems everything is up and running properly, unless there is something else that isn't working properly?

7. forrie macrumors newbie

Similar issue

I have a similar issue, tho I realize this thread is a year old :)

I bought a Cisco ASA, which I want to do routing and all, and I'd like to have the TC hang off the internal network. When I do this, I cannot communicate with it. I tried resetting it to bridged mode, no luck... so I did a full system reset of the TC and I'm using it for now.

It will work if I do NAT from TC to NAT from Cisco, but that's kinda silly.