Time Capsule Setup? Hard drive/printer/etc

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KWoolley116, Jul 6, 2008.

1. KWoolley116 macrumors newbie

Well I just got back from my local apple store.

Heres my plan, I got a 500gb TC that I want to use in my dorm as an internet wifi station so I can get a stronger, more secure connection. I also want to use Time Machine to backup to the TC's 500gb HD.

In addition to this, I want to add another USB external as well as a USB printer to the TC via a USB hub. USB printer for wireless printing in my dorm(obviously) and USB harddrive for saving movies/music/etc to in order to clear space on my MBP.

Is this all doable? How will my connection speed be?

A few more questions:

1. I still need to get the USB harddrive for saving. I was looking into a seagate 500gb or 750gb but I really like the 500gb G-Tech mini drive. Is it worth paying for the GTech? Wont the speed be capped by the speed of the TC?(which seems to be slow....) Will I be able to stream movies/music from this HD or will it lag?

2. The USB printer I have has a scanner on it. Will this work with the wireless connection of the TC?

I feel like its asking for alot, but I also feel its completely doable. I'm pretty good with computers but relatively new to mac.

BTW... I'm using a MBP 2.6ghz 4gb ram 200gb 7200rpm hd. Essentially the whole idea of the second HD connected to the TC is to keep alot of space free on my small 200gb hd to keep my MBP fast.

Cheers!

Added:

Also, it looks like the G-Tech mini HD has a built in USB hub, does this mean I can just plug the USB printer into the G-Tech hard drive and then hard drive into the TC?

Thanks again!

2. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

Unless the all-in-one printer is specifically designed for network use (in almost cases, this means they come with ethernet and/or wireless built-in), the scanner part will not work on the network.

3. RGSMDNR macrumors member

depending on what he has. I picked up a brother 465CN a few weeks back and i have it networked. Its plugged into my network and i can access all features from my macbook (print, fax, scan).