Time Capsule setup help (using it for storage AND backup)...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jacobsen1, Jan 18, 2009.

1. jacobsen1 macrumors member

OK, got the iMac Wednesday and have been setting it up all week/weekend. I', finally down to the end of getting time capsule setup. Here's what I'd LIKE to have:

internal iMac HD: 500gb
    time capsule HD: 1tb (750gb backup, 250gb usable space)

right now I've got it set up and I'm about to pick the drive in time machine, but it looks like as soon as I do that it's going to just start backing up my internal HD to the time capsule's HD? Will I later be able to set aside 250gb of time capsule space to use as storage? Do I need to set up something before I backup to it? Is this even possible, or is this what everyone is talking about when they say time capsule can't be used as a NAS?

Thanks,
    Ben

2. jacobsen1 thread starter macrumors member

OK, I thought I had it setup earlier today and it looked to have 70gb of 210gb backup up, but then all my internet went down and it locked everything up? After resetting both my wireless router and the time capsule, I'm trying to set things back up, but it doesn't seem to be working? Obviously I'm online again, but the TC config made it sound like I was connecting through that leeching off the router, but if I unplug the TC I'm still online? And I can't get time capsule to see the HD in it to back up to it either?

3. deewhy macrumors newbie

Im having similar problems.

I tried messing with the network configuration (to set it up as a wireless bass station) and now all im getting is a blinking amber light.

It was working fine when it was just connected to my router. ??? Not it isnt recognizing it anywhere..

Im new to this forum and saw that we had similar problems so I thought I would just post.

4. jacobsen1 thread starter macrumors member

I got that last night as well and was up until 2:30am to figure it out... Basically my router/modem is one unit and I wasn't home when it was installed... So I didn't know how to get into the router but I eventually figured it out.

In my case I had to turn off the WiFi on the FiOS router, then it all worked. Originally I guess the time capsule was receiving wirelessly then also transmitting that signal wirelessly as well... All while the FiOS router also was transmitting wirelessly... Once I turned off the wireless on the FiOS Router, the Time Capsule was forced to get it's connection via WAN and everything fell into place.

FYI on the setup screens, you might be getting some warnings that are OK, but security concerns. It'll ask you to check a box which will allow it to go solid green with those issues. I had that for a while as well.

Good Luck!

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I'm just assuming that you got a router from your ISP, but regardless, they are crap. You could go ahead and unplug the thing and replace it with your Time Capsule. Just make sure you copy the MAC address of the junk router (can usually be found on a sticker on the bottom).