Time Capsule Setup Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by theNEOone, Jan 6, 2012.

1. theNEOone macrumors 6502

Hi -- I'd like to do the following:

Modem/Router ---(wired)---> Time Capsule ---(wireless)---> MY DEVICES
    |
    |
    |
    (wireless)
    |
    |
    |
    \/
    ROOMMATES
    DEVICES

The Modem --> Roommates is already connect. In fact, I'm on that connection right now as well. However, the signal is very weak for me. I suspect it's the modem, because I used to have my Time Capsule setup much further away and had a much stronger signal. I would also like to keep my wireless backups running.

Cheers!

=]

2. theNEOone thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting -- thanks for the link. However, I'm looking for a quick and easy fix. Oh, and I'm also in Singapore... just moved. Not sure what shipping is like to Asia. :p

Edit: Ah, there's a Kindle version. Well, still looking for some abridged help.

=]

3. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Why not disable the AP on the Modem/Router, set the Time Capsule to Bridged mode and have everyone connect to the Time Capsule?

4. theNEOone thread starter macrumors 6502

That was my first attempt, but this is a strange Chinese router that I don't know my way around....

Also, I just realized that this thing is a 3G router... wtf. No actual broadband. That's f'ed up. :(

5. theNEOone thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey guys - any more wisdom you'd like to share? Really hoping to get this resolved.

Thanks!

=]

6. DaveGee, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012

DaveGee macrumors 6502a

Unless I'm misreading your first post ... You are looking to get faster response from your internet connection right?

You've already answered your question when you said...

7. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I'd suggest going to get a proper modem, (by that I mean one you can find your way around using) but then again, I'm lazy and that's what I'd do.

8. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

The router is a 3G device that is provided by the cellular provider... You're not gonna just be able to replace it without getting something approved by said provider and if his roommate is the one with the 3G data-contract then the provider wouldn't just let him request new equipment since it's probably subsidized and replacing it would likely require extending the contract.

9. theNEOone thread starter macrumors 6502

::thumbsup::

=]

----------

Sorry for the confusion - yes, I'm partly looking to increase speed (problem identified, 3G arghhhh!!!!!), but also looking to:

- increase wifi area (there are parts of my room with a weak signal)
    - continue my wireless TM backups

=]

10. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

.... I only wish my post had better news... :(