Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philpug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Reno, Nv
I tried to set up my 2TB. It suggested that I do my initial back up attached with a Ethernet Cable. I did that and over night it backed up my Macbook. I then tried to do a follow up back up (while still attached) when I woke up and it did that very quickly, as expected. I then unattached the cable and tried to do it over wifi and my macbook could not find the time capsule. Now I do not have the TC attached to my router, should it be? I would prefer to have the TC in the office and the router is is the living room. What am I missing? Also, I have a 500g hard drive on my Macbook but the TC said that I have only 1.77TB left for space on the TC, what is taking up the other 233g?

Philpug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Reno, Nv
Your Time Capsule is a router, it should be connected directly to your modem.

Not to be dense...but I need to a. move the TC to where the router is (in the living room) or b. move the router to the office. If b. does the AppleTV need to be attached to the modem too, if so how do I use that in the living room and if I want to add a ATV in the bedroom? Also, if I attach it directly to my modem/router combo, will it play well with the router that is integrated?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Are you just using the TC for backup purposes?

----------

Not to be dense...but I need to a. move the TC to where the router is (in the living room) or b. move the router to the office. If b. does the AppleTV need to be attached to the modem too, if so how do I use that in the living room and if I want to add a ATV in the bedroom? Also, if I attach it directly to my modem/router combo, will it play well with the router that is integrated?

Can you be more specific about what is where and what you want to use the TC for?

You generally don't want two routers, but the TC can be placed in "bridge mode" which lets I know it needs to work with the other router. It doesn't have to be hard wired though. I once ran a TC in my family room linked wirelessly to the Airport Extreme and router in the office.

B

Philpug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Reno, Nv
Are you just using the TC for backup purposes?

----------

Can you be more specific about what is where and what you want to use the TC for?

You generally don't want two routers, but the TC can be placed in "bridge mode" which lets I know it needs to work with the other router.

B

The initial plan is to do it for back up, then I WOULD LIKE to add my old WD750 drive that I previously used for back up as a NAS to store media that I could access through the TC (I think that is possible) but I need to get the TC working properly.

Livingroom: Apple TV, modem/router (ATT)

Office: Time Capsule, Printer TV (which I would eventually add an ATV)

Mobile: Macbook, Macbook Pro, 2 iPhones, 2 iPads.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Would you prefer the WiFi be from the TC or the AT&T router? Can you run Cat 5/5e/6 wire from the router to the TC?

B

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Your ATT modem/router most likely has a gateway mode. My Rogers modem/router does and I connect it directly from one of the LAN ports to the WAN port on my AirPort Extreme (same as a TC).

Don't connect anything to the other LAN ports on your ATT.

Philpug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Reno, Nv
Would you prefer the WiFi be from the TC or the AT&T router? Can you run Cat 5/5e/6 wire from the router to the TC?

B

Honestly, I don't care. I can't run cable from where the router is in the LR, I just double checked, the ATV is NOT wired to the router (ATT U-Verse NVG589). I could put the TC in the LR but then cannot attach the printer directly (but the printer is wi-fi, second but, but kicks itself off the network from time to time, that is why I wanted to connect it to the TC, third but, but that is lowest on my priority list, below the WD750 as a NAS). Does the ATT router need also to be in a bridge mode? How do I put the TC in bridge mode?

Philpug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Reno, Nv
The TC is simple, it's your ATT modem that's not.

What would happen in I plugged the TC into the modem? Would the earth change it's rotation axis? Would my coffee turn to tea? Would the birds fall fall out of the sky? Would it just not work as i would hope? Is that process my only option?

Philpug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Reno, Nv
Since there were no replies in the expected nano second, I plugged the TC into the router. Whereas when I had my laptop just into the TC, I could not access the internet. I now can see the see the TC and I can also access the internet. I did a back up (about 10MB) but Oldest and Last backup, but showed "none" but there was still showing 1.77 of 2.0 available.

Philpug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Reno, Nv
wifes macbook seems to be backing up fine. I take it that the TC can only back up one at a time?

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
wifes macbook seems to be backing up fine. I take it that the TC can only back up one at a time?

I have 5 Macs that can all backup at once on my Time Capsule (2013). I have even restored from and backed up to the TC at the same time.

Not sure if your wifi issue was fixed but are you sure you are connecting to the main account and not the guest wifi (if it is enabled). That would explain the issue if that was the case.

Philpug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Reno, Nv
Time capsule seems to be backing up fine now.

Next question....

I took the old wd750 and plugged it into the time capsule. I was using this as my old back up but now I would like to use it as media storage and access it from all the computers. It has been partitioned. In one of the partitions I have my old and deduct iMac that I ideally would like to keep but if it is a problem, not a huge thing. I need a section for my wife to strore movie projects and me to put iTunes and movies both for reasons that we don't need to keep them on the laptops all the time.

If I should start a new thread with th is question, I will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.