Time Capsule shuts completely off during restart??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by liltechdude, Sep 5, 2008.

1. liltechdude macrumors member

Hi everyone. I just picked up a Time Capsule 500GB to replace my failing Belkin N router. Anyway, the setup was a bit rocky because it didn't like my ISP (Comcast) right off the bat, so I had to configure it completely to get it to even connect to the internet. Anyway, I am mainly managing the router using my MacBook Pro. I like everything about the router except for when I need to change settings on the router. Most (if not all) setting changes require a restart on the router. I began to notice that everytime I click update and then restart, the router doesn't restart, it shuts down. It flashes amber for about two seconds, then the status light shuts off, and the whole router seems to be off as a result. The only way for me to get it working again is to take out the power cord, wait a few seconds, and put it back in. This is really inconvenient. I believe the firmware is up to date since I got a notice on my MBP to update it earlier which I did.

Any information would be appreciated!

UPDATE:Well now the router is shutting off under normal internet use. I am guessing it is probably defective and that I will have to send it in to Apple. Another possibility is that the Hard Drive is making the whole router overheat. The top of the Time Capsule is getting really hot under use (like 110 degrees F plus). Anyway I have to call them tomorrow since Apple doesn't offer 24 hour support. If anyone else has had an experience like this please elaborate on what you had to go through to get it fixed. Many thanks!

2. monjones macrumors member

sounds faulty to me. mine restarts fine without shutting down (although i pretty much never restart it - only for firmware updates). it runs pretty hot, but that's normal.