Time Capsule Signal..not so good?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hellodon, Feb 29, 2008.

1. hellodon macrumors 6502

Is anyone having signal problems? I usually use my laptops out in the living room of my house which is semi-far from the room that has my router in it. I hooked up Time Capsule and replaced my Linksys router and the signal varies out there...I'm also having problems connecting both my PS3 and Xbox 360. The 360 is out in the same living room and the signal showing up on the 360 is 2 bars...and it won't grab the signal during a test so I can't connect.

PS3 seems to connect but it's having problems with something...might be to do with the PSN. I dunno what to do about the 360....it worked fine with my older Linksys router....if I can't get that to work then this really does me no good. On top of a low signal on the laptops which I could deal with if need be because they still get internet access.

Uggh. I was so stoked for this and might have to return it. Speaking of which, does the Apple store even let you return stuff like this?

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

Why wouldn't they?

3. motownflip macrumors regular

I bought and returned a airport extreme before. Just make sure you return it before 14 days. They also may try to charge you a restocking fee. Just keep complaining and they will waive the fee. The fee is BS anyways.

4. klas macrumors newbie

you need to understand one thing that situation varies for each one. I live in townhouse and I have to have 3 routers to get the best signal. Although, only 2 of them are AEBS running in WDS mode, the other Dlink DIR-655 just for routing wired

5. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

Some stores are ****** about returning opened electronics, that's why I asked. That's not too crazy of a question to ask...some stuff can't be returned opened, some can't be returned at all, some charge a restock fee...so I was just wondering about apple's policy.

Anyway, I found out the following:

1. The signal is what it is, my old Linksys gets a better one for my setup and works with all of my devices at the range I need them to work at without getting an access point. The Time Capsule unfortunately will not.

2. I okayed a return with them, called tonight. No problem and they did try to pull the restock fee at first but I told them "listen I'd love to keep this thing, I was really excited about it, it just doesnt have the range for my needs" and they said "okay no restocking fee"..so you're right about that. Thanks.

3. It "pretty much" doesnt work with Xbox 360...the system apparently doesnt play nice with 802.11n routers unfortunately, or if at all. I found others having the same issues with Airport Extreme base stations (Which are also "n") and some got it to work using an access point, and connecting the 360 to that which was connected to the APE and you cannot secure the network. There were some other settings that you needed to mess with to get that going ....all in all it's just not worth it to have to do all of that.

I want to use my laptops in the living room and I play my Xbox online. I was hoping this was a one shot solution and I was really stoked to get one, it unfortunately just isnt going to work for me.

Thanks for your help guys!