Time Capsule silent?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by netdog, Mar 1, 2008.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

2. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

its pretty quiet, but gets pretty hot

3. ljones macrumors regular

Yea it's quiet, and mine is right in front of me on my media center. I might turn off the blinking light option, that light is large and blinks a lot.

And i also agree about the temp. Although it seems to cool down as long as no backup is going on.

4. raghauler macrumors newbie

My TC complaines of overheat

I configured by 1TB TC last night and did a backup. No problems. Then, this morning, the TC started to behave weird. Every few minutes, the internal fan revs all the way up (making a bit of noise). The light flashes amber, then eventually solid green. Doesn't seem to impact backup.

Every so often, I catch a status message in the Airport utility which indicated the Airport is overheating.....please check the unit, remove any obstructions, etc, etc. I have the unit on a table top, nothing on top or next to it. The unit is not running that hot.

I'm going to test further and if it doesn't stop, I'll return it to the store.

Otherwise, it was quite easy to set up and, when the fan isn't spinning way up (a whoosh sound), it runs quiet.

Cheers

5. rfrankl macrumors 6502

My fan was on nonstop since I installed it, and my house isn't hot inside so I propped it up on 4 stacks of 5 pennies each and that seems to have helped it.

6. Redgiemental macrumors newbie

I'd hazard a guess that there may be a malfunctioning temperature sensor in your TC raghauler. You would maybe be wise to have it taken care of to avoid the alert and wear on your fan. In my opinion

7. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

The TC has a fan and a hard drive that clicks. So it shouldn't make that much noise if you don't peg it with IO.

8. MacTheSpoon macrumors 6502a

I'm having a problem with my fan, too, I've got a 500GB and the fan is running non-stop. That doesn't seem right to me.

9. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Sorry to bump, but I'm wondering, how loud is it compared to a normal external hard drive?

I had my 500GB LaCie on Time Machine duty for a while, but it would wake me up every night with the noise so I'm looking for another solution.

10. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

its definitely not that loud, you have to be really close to it in order to hear it spinning and hear the fan. Since its so enclosed the noise doesnt get out much. It definitely will not wake you up. my computer desk is very close to my bed and i cant hear it.

11. X district X macrumors newbie

sorry to hijack this thread but I was just reading through the peripherals section and it reminded me how rubbish apple time capsule is, its easily the worst product they have ever made, its immensely slow very loud and gets so hot you could fry an egg on it, furthermore there are numerous inherent bugs in them,

just reminded me why i sold mine at the first available opportunity.

Thats all folks