Time Capsule Simultaneous Dual Band

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by techguy20, Jan 4, 2012.

1. techguy20 macrumors 6502

Just ordered my 2TB Time Capsule, upgrading from a "regular" Linksys Wireless N Router.

My question concerns the use of the simultaneous dual band on the router. Currently, my network, despite the router supporting Wireless N, is being held up on G because one of the wireless adapters on my network is maxed out at G.

All the devices on the network besides the Wireless G device support the 5GHz band. With the use of the dual bands on the Time Capsule, would the 5GHz band also be using the G-Frequency, or would it take advantage of N?

Basically, I am wondering if the 2.4GHz frequency can run in G, while the 5GHz frequency runs in N at the same time. Is that possible, or would both bands bump down to G?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Just setup a 3TB TC...From the specs, and i have read the lot! the TC will autoswitch...I have altered my connections so that my iPad and iPhone operate on the 5GZ band.

To do this, I wired the main port on the TC into my Draytek gigabit router, connected my iMac (taken from the Draytek) to the TC. Then I setup a wifi network on the TC with a different SSID.

This allows access to the new network for my mac's and my iPad phone etc, they automatically switch to the higher band.

In short, take as much off your existing router as you can.....All thats left on mine is my ATV and my smart TV....works a charm

----------

Should have added....Obviously your macs will operate at 2.4GHZ. If your iPad and iPhone persist in connecting to your old network, just go into settings and click "Forget This Network"

On your macs, re-arrange the network order in system preferences to show your new wifi network at the top of the list....Secure with WPA personal, then using the - key remove the default apple SSID after you have chosen a new name for your wifi network.

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Yes.

With my Gen 4 TC, I have a 5GHz band 802.11n network for my iMac, MacBook Pro and :apple:tv2 and then a 2.4GHz 802.11g/n network for my iPhone 4 and a mate's Toshiba laptop. I just append "5GHz" to the SSID for the 802.11n network so I know which one is which.

4. Tintin19 macrumors newbie

I'm interested in this setup. I want to run the 5GHz 802.11n between my mac and my aTV, but the iPhone won't see that network, so airplay to the aTV becomes impossible.

If I upgrade to Airport Extreme or Time Capsule and run the simultaneous 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks, can iPhones on the 2.4GHz still see the aTV on the 5GHz??

Cheers in advance......

5. techguy20 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes!