Time Capsule slowing iMac and freezing (not while backing up)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SuAndMac, Jul 14, 2016.

1. SuAndMac macrumors newbie

(iMac 2012) Programs & Finder started slowing. Eventually when I managed to restart I got a gray screen. It took ages but finally came back on. This happened twice, once I worked out it was the time capsule I turned it off in settings and the computer has been fine ever since.

Note: Time Machine was not backing up at the time. I haven't turned it back on since, my computer is my livelihood.

Any thoughts? Any way to test the time capsule without it doing this again? Time to take it to the shop?

Thanks

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If an issue like that appears when backing up there is an underlying problem in your software. The Time Capsule itself is merely a Time Machine destination, so it has zero bearing on your computer. That being said, I would be looking at recreating the backup on the Time Capsule and restarting Time Machine.

3. SuAndMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply.

I have just updated the firmware for the Time Capsule - is that what you meant?

I'll try restarting it and run Time Machine again. Fingers crossed

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No. If there is an issue with a Mac crashing while backing up, there is a software issue on that Mac.