Time Capsule - 'Stay plugged in'.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by snicker71, Apr 9, 2008.

1. snicker71 macrumors newbie

From Apple's Time Capsule page:
    Stay plugged in.
    Time Capsule is a great wireless backup solution for notebook users. For your backup to initiate automatically, your notebook’s power adaptor must be plugged in. Conserve your battery and guarantee that your backup session completes in its entirety.

Does this make sense to anyone?
    Surely the whole point of TC, is that notebook users can backup wirelessly.
    If you have to plug in your power adaptor for auto backups (the whole point of TM), you may-as-well just plug in a normal hard-drive anyway, it would probably be a cheaper option.
    Is there anyway around this? I'm thinking of getting a TC to use with my MB, but this is putting me off.
    Thanks for any help.

2. mheidt macrumors member

Time machine just reminds you to plug in the power adapter.
    Nevertheless it let you backup, if you don't.
    But if your machine will fall into sleep mode because of insufficient power supply, the backup will fail.
    Therefore it is recommended to plugin the power adapter...or have a full battery at least.
    And the initial backup may take more than one battery filling.

And I dissagree, that plugging in an external hd is the same as plugging in a power adapter, which lays around somehwere anyway.
    I would agree, if an ethernet would be mandatory.

I'm a happy user of a TC 1TB, btw.

3. snicker71 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks for replying. I think I'll go-ahead and get one then.

4. WHM macrumors regular

I have had mine now for a month and could not be happier. My problem was not backing up and after loosing all my information twice this is perfect and easy for me. Works just as advertised and I have NO complaints!:cool:

5. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi,
    I got a Time Capsule earlier this week and I am very impressed so far. I was a bit worried about reports of it running very hot and being noisy which conflicted with other reports that said it was very quiet! Mine is the 500GB model and I can confirm that it runs quite hot but not excessively in my opinion. As for noise, it is virtually silent when idle (but spinning) and chatters a bit when being accessed but it is not a problem in the slightest. I actually quite like the faint chattering sound actually... This is with my TC running about 18 inches from my head at eye level.

Furthermore, it is a beautifully engineered piece of kit as you might expect from Apple with no antennae sticking out and with a nice non-slip rubber base to prevent the ethernet cables from dragging it off the shelf.

All in all it seems to be £199 well spent!

Cheers,
    Craig.