Time Capsule stops working, gets very hot

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ks-man, Dec 21, 2008.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

So I've been having problems with my TC for awhile but it has gotten much worse. Now I find that I lose my wired and wireless network often. If I go to where TC is I notice that it is very hot. I unplug it and if I leave it unplugged for a while and replug it in I can get back TC. Usually if I replug it in right away it will come back but I lose it a minute later. The length of time it is unplugged for corresponds to how long it will stay active.

I'm assuming the problem is the heat b/c of the hard drive spinning. However this seems strange that this would be a problem as I'm sure Apple would realize that these drives will get hot and there aren't a ton of problems like this. Do you think I should have it replaced? Any ideas that I should try first? If I replace the TC with an old Linksys router I don't have any problems with it, it is just much slower since it is G not N.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Slowstick macrumors 6502

I am afraid there aren't many troubleshooting options here. I don't own a TC, but it sounds like to me that maybe you should get it replaced.

3. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's kind of what I'm thinking I need to do. Does anybody know how I can completely format the data on the hard drive? Will a regular reset do it?

4. Slowstick macrumors 6502

You could do that, and I would try it only as a last resort if Apple won't do anything for you in regards to replacing/repairing. This is something you shouldn't have to deal with. You know what I mean?;)

And besides, if the hard drive is causing more heat than usual, reformatting probably wouldn't fix that. That is just a guess though.:D

5. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

No I meant to reformat it if I'm going to give it to Apple. I used if for Time Machine so I don't want to give it back with all of my computer info on it.

6. Slowstick macrumors 6502

Oh ya..sorry!! I would definitely reformat it before giving it to Apple!!!:D:D

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

Go into Manual Setup in AirPort Utility, select the Disks tab, choose your TC's HDD and select Erase.

8. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

With your connection drop-out issues, I am having a simmilar problem, where sometimes the wireless may drop-out, and to maintain a connection I have to use Ethernet.

If you manage to get a new one, let us know if the problem still bugs you as it would be intersting to know if its just some dodgy units.

I'm actually going to phone :apple:Care to complain about the level of service and support, as it has been crap.

Also, my Time Capsule gets VERY hot!